11. Stolen Moments

"I haven't skated since high school after I fell and busted my ass in front of everyone," I announced, tightening the straps on my multi-colored blades. There wasn't much to do when you weren't of age and wanted to have fun back in my hometown. So, the skating rink became the hangout spot, but the moment I tried to show off, I got fucked up. "Maybe I should ask for a helmet and knee pads. Or maybe some training wheels."

The building was nice and nostalgic, the scent of popcorn crowding my nose. Colorful lights were flickering over the slick wooden floor and gates for people like me. Bright signs and music notes decorated the walls and carpeted area, making the space appear lighter. There were benches for those sitting and a snack bar near where you rent skates. That was where most of the young crowd was, and the experienced few were on the rink, dipping, spinning, and dancing. How is that possible? I almost wanted to stand there and just watch them.

Sam and Cam were the first ones in our group to head to the rink. She wobbled miserably, but Cameron held onto her until she balanced herself. Why did we agree to this?

"Dylan? Are you good at rollerblading because you skateboard? If so, I'm jealous," I said, not giving up my spot on the bench. I rolled my feet back and forth, debating if I wanted to embarrass myself again.

Dylan got up without worrying. "Actually, to me, rollerblading is harder than skateboarding. With boarding, it's just pushing and rolling, and it's easy to stop, but with skating, it might be harder. I'm about to find out," he shouted over the loud pop music and stepped onto the floor with no problem. He was glowing with confidence and wasn't doing so bad.

Joey stood up next and slowly rolled over to me. "All you have to do is hold your balance, and you'll be good," he informed, towering over me. There was so much more to skating than holding your damn balance. I didn't have balance. Luckily, there weren't many people skating, so I was less likely to crash into someone. "Try it."

I puffed my cheeks and talked myself into trying. I almost fell from my legs being too wobbly, and latched onto a nearby rail as I stood up. "I tried, and I failed. I'm going to the snack bar," I annoyingly said, giving up.

"You won't get anywhere giving up," Joey preached, trying to get me to change my mind. "Here, take my hand." I watched him extend his arm for me, and I couldn't do anything but stare at him. I pushed my lips into a frown and felt my shoulders drop.

I hesitated. "Come on, Riley. I don't bite. Just take my hand," he barked, his voice more demanding. He had a sincere look on his face, showing me that he wasn't joking or would let me bust my ass so he could laugh. I trusted him. This is not life or death, Riley. It's just skating.

"How am I supposed to know that?" I snapped, lying my hand in the center of his. He pushed me up, dragging his hand down to my hip as I caught my balance. My mind was screaming for me to step away, but I couldn't. I didn't want to lose the feel of his touch, and I didn't want to fall. Small jolts shot through my body from how close we were and from the placement of his strong hands.

"You're always open to finding out," Joey teased, biting down on his lips before removing his left hand from my hips. I was almost disappointed he moved, but he still had my hand and led the way to the opening through the rails. I squeezed onto his hand as I watched Sam and Cam still holding hands, keeping each other off the ground. Dylan was still doing fantastic, trying to keep a group of girls from falling. They flocked to him like candy, probably falling on purpose because they were not doing that before.

Joey stepped down first. "You ready? Don't even think about it. Just do it," he said, facing me until I got on the rink. I almost had a fucking panic attack. How slippery were these floors? Damn.