Six

Kaycee sat in the passenger seat of Jack's black Mercedes-Benz SUV, staring out the window while her fingers drew circles on Jack's hand that rested on the center console. They had just gone to dinner at a small restaurant in northeastern Los Angeles the night before Kaycee's birthday. Jack decided that the compromise of taking her out the night before was fair as long as Kaycee would still allow him to be with her and Lew's the next day. Kaycee was reluctant when he asked, but she didn't want to argue, she just hoped Jack wouldn't find anything to get jealous over.

"I had a good time tonight." Jack said, flipping his hand over to take hers and give it a squeeze. "It was nice of your parents to let us go out alone for once."

Kaycee met Jack's gaze and smiled. Her parents had been uneasy when Kaycee asked if her and Jack could have an unchaperoned date, but they trusted the two and requested that Jack return Kaycee home as soon as they left the restaurant, no pit-stops.

"Me too. I wasn't sure they'd be okay with it." Kaycee responded sweetly, "They're pretty protective with me."

"It's nice to know that they seem to trust me." Jack smiled, giving her hand a final squeeze before returning both hands to the wheel.

Kaycee simply nodded, turning her gaze back to the window, watching the lights of various highway light poles come and go as they sped down Arroyo Seco Parkway.

"Is it still alright if I'm there tomorrow?" Jack asked, eyes narrowing on the road ahead of him, "You're sure it won't be weird for the Lew's or anything?"

"I mentioned it to Sean and he didn't say anything about it." Kaycee replied, fibbing a slight bit. She thought back to her conversation with Sean two weeks ago, he never objected to Jack being there, though they never talked about that in particular. Sean was more concerned with himself being the problem, she figured that if Sean had a problem with Jack being there, he would've said something when they talked.

Now thinking about it, Kaycee hadn't heard from Sean in days. It was normal for the two of them to not call everyday, but she hadn't gotten any messages from him since Sunday morning, it was Thursday night now.

He's busy. Probably coming up with some new project. She thought, don't worry about it.

"Kayc, are you listening?" Jack's question snapped her out of her thoughts and she smiled weakly, "Sorry, I zoned out. What were you saying?"

Jack sighed before repeating himself, "I asked if there was anything your parents need me to do to help out. They invited me over when they didn't have to, I should probably do something."

"I honestly think everything's taken care of, but if you want, you can come inside and ask when we get back to the house." Kaycee replied sweetly.

"Sounds good." Jack muttered, eyes scanning the road before switching lanes to take the exit. "When was the last time you saw Sean, anyway?"

Kaycee sat back in her seat, head tilted back and eyes closed in thought. "I think the end of September, we went to Jojo and Donovan's class together."

Jack bit the inside of his cheek, "The partner class. I remember." Kaycee winced, she had forgotten it was a partner class until the words had already exited her mouth.

She remembers telling Jack that her and Sean were going to the class together, and more importantly, she remembered his reaction to it. Jealousy. She remembers the small argument it started. Will you ever ask me to go to a partner class with you, or am I just not good enough? Even thinking back to it now, it irritated her. It had nothing to do with Jack's dance ability, but had everything to do with the sacredness of Sean and Kaycee's partnership. They were untouchable. No relationship would ever get in the way of their promise to always be partners. Sean wouldn't let it, and neither would Kaycee.