the fifth

there's a creature outside the window, she thinks as she sits upright in the bed. a thing of horn and ragged fur, with a triple set of eyes and cloven feet. anahita sees its chandelier of bone waft before her window, a shadow puppet of macabre growth cast by the moon across the rosy wooden floor.

it's somewhere deep in the night, at a time where the earthworms sit still in their dirt packed homes and wait with bated breath. and in this precious slice of hour the creature creaks to its feet and sways toward the tree rooted in the centre of a grove. its knees are bent backwards like a predator's, its orange eyes are aglow in the square centre of its ursine forehead. anahita sits with her fingers latticed in a pentagram, her hair braided into ropes.

the animal presses its gloved fingers to the window pane, and its orange eyes blink a gentle sigh. it raps its bark knuckles against the sugar glass, and it explodes into pollen upon the rose room floor. anahita gurgles a scream like a ruptured waterfall, her fingers split apart and the room suddenly floods with the scent of mildew and dead meat. the creature reaches through and says, let him know i'm here.

rusalka? anahita runs her fingers fitfully through her dark sheet of hair. the heavy wood fae halfway through the window leers its yellow teeth. let him know i'm here

note hello i have not been here in a Long Time and my writing style (?) has changed a lot. i've clean forgotten why i even started this story but it's gonna take on a darker, grimier tone cause that's the way i've been writing for a while now. i am unfortunately older and aware of how bad and cringe some of the old junk on here is, i can't bring myself to read over and correct cause i'll just mass delete things. i Might update mercury at some point too. <3 sorry this is so short