08 • the wattpad algorithm

(Disclaimer: I am not sure whether Wattpad already updated their algorithm. This might not be the latest.)

Of course, another trick would be aligning your work to the requirements of Wattpad. Or you know, what the system would consider as worth reading. That's how you get your audience.

Exit this book and go click the home option. There, you would see a lot of books, hand-picked by Wattpad itself or their staff. We have the Paid stories, the trending, editor's choice and so much more.

Click on the search button and pick a genre. A list of books will appear, each of them having their own rank.

Ever wondered how books reach this list?

Well, I have the answer (a hypothesis, rather). I've read blogs from famous authors, analyzed Wattpad itself and did a few experiments, and I've come with a theory.

What counts?

1. Whether you update regularly or not (I've said this before)

2. The tag (of course you should have that tag, namely the genre where you want your book to turn up) example: #adventure

3. Reads, votes and comments PER DAY

4. Your book being added to reading lists (this boosts your ranking)

5. Consistent reads per chapter

That's it. The list changes every day, so you have lots of chances. But be patient, because it's not easy to accomplish all those tasks.

If your book gets into that list then congratulations. Not only can this help in building your audience, it can also get the attention of the Wattpad Editors at the same time.

I'm not saying they only notice the ones in the list, I mean that this can increase your chances on getting recognized.

What are you waiting for? Start writing, you don't know what the future has in store for your work...