Chapter 18: "I'm going to take care of you."

Aunty, it's time. Can I come over tomorrow please? I want to divorce Chase.

I looked down at the message before me, hesitating whether I should send it or not. I couldn't understand what was holding me back, was it the finality of the message or was it the fact that once I said it it would all became real? I stared down at the message for what felt like hours with my thumb hovering over the send button until I was startled by Tobias' voice.

"Monroe?" I put my hand over my chest attempting to normalise my erratic breathing. "Sorry babe, I didn't mean to startle you. You was just staring at your phone for a while, everything alright?"

I looked down at him and saw the overwhelming concern on his face and that's when I felt my heart flutter once more. I looked into Tobias' chocolate soaked and caramel swirled eyes and I saw it, the care he had for me, the feelings that laid on his bare arms, and the genuine spark of happiness that he felt around me. Tobias was real and he was worth it all, he was worth the risk.

I shook my head at him with a soft smile on my face before pressing send, I anticipated my chest to feel heavy and my mind to be fuzzy with confusion and hurt. But all I felt was ease, there was no more pain, there was no more hurt, only freedom.

"Everything's perfect."

A soft smile coated his beautiful face, he leaned over towards me as he surprisingly fisted my t-shirt, and tugged me towards him. I felt myself fall forward, as if it happened in slow motion he caught my body in his hold and manoeuvred me so I ended up in his lap looking up at him as he held me. My heart was pounded through my chest from the surprise attack but once I felt his fingers trace my jaw, I felt nothing but calm. "Yes Monroe, you are... perfect."

I felt myself gulp at his endearing compliment, he made me feel on top of the world as I sat cradled in his hold but I felt like so much more when he lent down and gave me a mind-blowing kiss. His lips were soft yet sultry, aggressive yet so delicate, fiery but so gentle. Everything about it was just beautiful, it left me in a haze when he pulled away.

My eyes flickered open as my mouth finally closed still feeling the tingles this man left on my skin, he stroked my cheek with the back of his hand before pulling me up into a sitting position. He gestured for to come and lay next to him which I happily obliged, he put his arm around me as I snuggled against his chest placing my palm over his heart.

I felt the gentle beat of his heart under my fingers lulling me to sleep, he pulled the covers over us and we laid together in a comfortable silence. If only he knew the power of his hold, how his arms around my body could make all of my worries melt away and be nothing but at peace with the world and what cards I had been dealt with because all of those cards led me to him.

I felt his fingers stroke up and down my arm causing me to fall into a deep slumber with him by my side, I soon felt his breathing soften and a gentle breath fanning my face. We had both fallen into a deep sleep within the security of one another.

...

I felt the warm water relax my body as it rained over me. Tobias was sound asleep in the other room, I knew if I stayed in the bed any longer that I would have never left but I knew that wasn't a possibility today. I needed to have a clear mind today and I needed to be brave. I woke up with a mask of bravery over my skin and I couldn't allow anyone to force that mask to falter.

I needed to do this today, I needed to start my healing. They say the first step to healing is awareness and I am very aware that I have spent 8 years avoiding the acceptance that my pain comes in the form of Chase Bishop. But now I was painfully aware and ready to face it head on.