Chapter 10: Only The Beginning

Surprise! 👀

Also, beware that I wrote the chapter in present tense because I completely forgot I'd been planning to write in past tense for this but I ain't re-writing this shit. It's still to a quality I'm satisfied with and I've kept you all waiting long enough, so on that note, enjoy.

Also, random af question but whso your favourite character in Diabolik Lovers?

I fall on the floor with a thud.

The impact is softer than I expected, and from a different angle too. I plummet on my stomach rather than on my back, and yet it doesn't hurt as much as I'd anticipated. I lay still for a moment longer before climbing shakily onto my feet, disoriented.

"Why are you here?" A voice snips, polite yet filled with well-concealed disdain, reminding me faintly of Reiji. In fact, everything seems to be reminding me of that bastard these days. I turn on my heel, squinting into the darkness - and freezing when I make eye contact with another pair of eyes.

There's a girl standing in the place where I remember Kanato frowning down at me moments earlier. Despite being dressed in frills and stereotypically cheerful colours, she looks absolutely miserable, golden hair forced into pigtails on either side of her head.

She doesn't seem disgruntled by her attire - if anything, it seems my presence is the catalyst list of her disgust. She frowns down at me, eyebrow arching as though she expects me to reply to her, and for a moment I consider keeping my mouth shut just to spite her.

"You think I know?" I sound startled to my own ears, voice cracking as it echoes into empty space. Everything around us is pitch black - like the universe made entirely out of malleable darkness and matter that no longer matters. The floor - if you can even call it that - has a soft, yet synthetic texture that's somewhere along the lines of irritant and comfortable.

The girl rolls her eyes, jaw clicking faintly before she continues speaking. "You don't get to speak to me in that tone. You left me here - you abandoned me like you did everything else. I don't want to hear shit from you."

This girl - she's angry at me in a way that is almost too familiar. She looks like she wants to kill me but doesn't want to get her hands dirty; just like Kanato did when I talked back to him. I feel the same kind of distant fear as I did then, like when a snake looks down on a bird with a broken wing - except I'm the bird, and I've been backed into a corner with nowhere to run.

If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say this girl is a vampire. But this girl...

"You look like me," I rasp out, because it couldn't be more obvious. We have the same features, the same squinted eyes - the same ignorant, entitled way of presenting ourselves. It's grating to look at, and I'm not quite sure how that makes me feel. "And you say I've forgotten you. Are you me?"

"Unfortunately," She snorts, eyes flicking over me as though admitting we're related pains her. This time, I focus on her mouth when she speaks, catching a flicker of sharp teeth when she scowls and stifling a frown. "Not that you remember. You are especially talented at being an amnesic bitch."

I ignore the comment with much effort, exhaling through my nostrils in an attempt to remind level-headed. "I'm not a vampire though - or if so, then I sure as hell am not aware of it."

"You're not aware of a lot, so don't be surprised," The girl snarls, hand drifting to play with the lace of one of the bows twisted into her hair. She swipes it with her fingernail as though she wishes it were my throat instead, yet I feel a little more endeared than intimidated by the action. "However, as much as I want to knock you out of that stupid human body you and I are imprisoned in, it would disrupt everything I've got planned for the future."