14. Players Prayer

I shut my bedroom door and started pacing in my room

I shut my bedroom door and started pacing in my room. What the hell am I doing? I know I said it was a mistake, but that kiss the other night sure as hell didn't feel like a mistake. It felt . . . right. When I was walking by Riley's door and heard her crying, I should have kept walking. Why did I go in there? Why did I comfort her? Why did I feel this strange pull towards her? I keep telling myself that it's the whole "hard to get" thing she had going on. And, most of it probably was. But something changed. I've kissed dozens of women and slept with even more. But, when she kissed me, I've never been so caught off guard.

I knew she was upset and vulnerable. I knew I shouldn't have kissed her back. But I didn't feel like I had any other choice. I just reacted. And I've never felt anything like that before. For those few minutes, I felt lost in her kiss, and all I wanted was more. When she tried to take my clothes off, it was like cold water being poured over me. I wanted her, and for reasons, I didn't understand. But, if it happened that night, with her feeling the way she did, it would have made things a lot worse.

I knew I made the right choice by stopping it from going any further. I would have felt like I was taking advantage of her with her upset, even though she said she wanted it. What I didn't expect was for Riley to feel like I was rejecting her . . . like her ex. That's why I went out and got that book for her. In some way, I was trying to let her know that I was sorry for making her feel like that. It wasn't my intention.

Whatever. I gave her the book as an apology. She can accept it or not; that's her choice. Me? As far as I'm concerned, I don't owe her anything else.

A knock at my door drew my attention, and I rubbed my hands over my face. "Come in," I called.

Dylan pushed into my room, rubbing his hands together. "Bro, you trying to get this match of Call of Duty going? We need you. And I'm bored as hell."

Seemed like a needed distraction. "I'll be down in a minute," I said.

Dylan walked to the door and turned before leaving. "You good?"

I laughed it off. "I'm always good. Some girl tripping that I didn't call her back. You know how it is."

"Bro, I told Jessica straight-up if I fuck her, I'm not calling, but she won't stop calling me and sending paragraphs." Dyl said as I followed him downstairs as we finished the conversation. "Maybe we can hit the bar later? Due for something new."

When we got into the game room, everything was set up already. I always forget how much of a gamer Cameron is. His face lit up when I sat on the couch, grabbing the controller.

"It's about time. Dylan's ass kept dying and shit." Cam said.

Dylan barked. "Fuck you."

~~

"Beer? I'll drive?" Dylan rose from the couch we lounged on.

Sam, Riley, and Cameron went shopping, leaving Dylan and me home. Sam dragged her boyfriend with them, and he hated being a part of that.