Chapter 19: Didn't See That Coming

IT TOOK QUITE A WHILE FOR the King to catch his breath. I am still not sure what to make of his reaction. Is it that impossible for Exene to ask me to marry him? Kung sabagay, hindi naman ito totoo but the fact that he choked on his wine the moment he heard about the announcement is speaking a lot. Too shocking?

The King wiped his mouth with the napkin. "Too bad your siblings aren't here to hear the news." Exene rolled his eyes. As if he doesn't agree with his siblings hearing the news.

The King looked at me and gave me a kind smile. And I immediately felt bad.

"Son, you have been doing things your way ever since I can't remember when. You became independent at a very young age. You have gained your Dukedom. You have a city to rule and now a wife to protect," the whole table was silent. The King looked at me.

"Forgive my reaction earlier. It's just that, Exene has been away with us ever since—" the King stopped and glanced at Exence. Ever since what?

The King cleared his throat. "Anyway, I'm happy with this announcement. I am sorry, Princess Canary. My son came up with the decision. I can't do anything to change that."

The Princess smiled. "It is fine, Your Majesty. After all, I have my eyes set on someone else."

My jaw dropped. This time, one of the twins choked on their wine. And I can see Exene raised a brow. I never thought this could be this easy. I mean, she was so into getting Exene to marry her but now this? She has her eyes on someone else? So this means we don't have to do this anymore, right? 

The King cleared his throat and looked at Black beside me who has been silent ever since the meal started. Well, he's always been silent.

"You've become even more silent, Davis. A little more and we won't notice you're there."

"Well, that's basically his skill. Isn't that why you made him your spymaster, En?" The Queen nudged Exene.

"True," genuine happiness could be seen on the King's face as he looked at Black. No, not only to Black but to the twins as well. It's like how fathers look at their son. He looked at them full of admiration and I can see how proud he is looking at how these men grew up. 

"Luca and Levi, why don't you dye your hair of the same color? Let's see who can recognize who's who."

Levi chuckled while Luca grinned. "I was actually planning to do that, Your Majesty."

The King waved his hand. "When you were all kids you used to call me an old fart. What's with the formalities now?"

Levi spat on his wine.

"Now don't provoke them, darling. We can't have Luca barging into the castle calling you an old man, can we?" The Queen laughed. Yeah, it really sounds like something Luca would do.

"Alright, back to Exene's announcement. When will be the engagement party?"

"I actually prepared for that beforehand," Exene looked at me before he continued. "I was confident you'd say yes to this Father so I prepared this few days ago. The engagement will commence the day after tomorrow." He sipped on his wine and looked at me over the rim of his glass.

Wait, what? The day after tomorrow? I gave him a look and he just shrugged. Aba!

"Good. The faster, the better. Muriel is due next next month. I can't wait to have another little angel."

This time, I choked on my food. I felt my cheeks flush and I swear I heard one of the twins chuckled. I eyed Exene and his reaction is just like mine. Oh God. Having a baby isn't part of the plan! When his eyes met mine, agad ko siyang pinandilatan hoping the question in my mind about having a baby would reach him but he drank his glass empty. And that was answer enough. He didn't see this coming as much as I did. 

The meal went quite well except for the uncomfortable feeling in my gut. The King invited us to the Palace tomorrow and that only added to my anxiety. And judging from the apologetic look on Exene's face, he feels the same. I can only sigh. Ano ba itong pinasok ko? 

* * * 

I was pacing back and forth in my room. After the meal, I didn't have the chance to talk to Exene about everything because he went somewhere god knows where. What will we do about the baby? Because there will come a time when the king will ask for one. And the engagement will be the day after tomorrow? Are you freaking kidding me? All this is happening too fast!  

A knock on my door took me back from my thoughts. Agad akong nagpunta sa pintuan para buksan at agad siyang hinatak papasok. 

"Whoa, easy woman!" Exene smirk while I closed the door.

"Don't you smirk at me! What will we do now?"

"Get married?" 

"No!" I frustratedly combed my hair with my hands. "You know what I mean, Exene." 

He crossed his arms flexing his toned biceps. "I'm afraid you'll have to elaborate on that one." 

I groaned. "The baby! Your Father is asking for a baby! This isn't part of the plan! And the engagement is the day after tomorrow? Did it ever occur to you to tell me that before you announce that to everyone?" 

"I'm sorry for not telling you about it but the sooner the engagement happens, the better. And with regards to the baby part, I think we have to modify our plan a bit." 

"What the hell do you mean?" 

"What do you think?" he smirked. 

I shook my head repeatedly. "No. There's no way we're going to do that!"

He grinned. "I wasn't suggesting that."

I narrowed my eyes on him. "Alright. Now explain how are we going to keep this up?"  

"It's either both of us isn't capable of producing an offspring or that we still wanted to enjoy each other's company for a while." 

My eyebrows furrowed. 

He shrugged. "And besides, this fake arrangement will be done once I can find a way out. Father won't be paying too much attention on me now that he'll be busy once he retires." 

"He's planning to retire?" 

"My older brother is off to some Kingdom to find a wife. Once he comes back, he'll take the throne." 

"Sounds easy." 

"So, he'll be travelling around so we won't have to pretend that much. We'll just act when he's facing us." 

"I see. But did you notice how the Princess just gave you up? I mean, I thought she's hell-bent on getting to marry you. But someone who caught her eye? Isn't that good news? She's the reason we're doing this in the first place. Now, she's not interested in you anymore. Is this fake arrangement still necessary?" 

"That was good news, indeed. But we already announced our plan of engagement. There's no turning back now." 

I just sighed. 

"Prepare yourself tomorrow. We're going to have dinner in the Palace." 

He opened the door. 

"And by the way," he stopped and faced me. His eyes hovering over my body as I am still wearing the dress he personally picked. And then his eyes went back to my face.

 "You look stunning." 

And I am confused how on earth did that simple compliment made my heart race. 

* * * 

VOTES AND COMMENTS are highly appreciated. Thank you for staying!