Reflections

Chapter Nineteen

Reflections

Peyton' P.O.V

I didn't move. I couldn't. I stared up at this stranger with Raphael's eyes...and Raphael's smell, and his body and his clothes...this stranger who was telling me his name wasn't Raphael, but Brus. His name was Brus. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. If he wasn't Raphael...why did he look exactly like him?

And...and what did he mean...what did he mean Raphael didn't exist?

"That's right, babe. Your knight in shining combat boots is dead. Guess what babe? I killed him." He announced darkly, strolling around in circles like what he just said was totally normal, and totally okay. Totally true.

Now my gut really felt like it'd been punched.

Holding myself, I staggered backwards, shaking my head in denial.

"No. No, no, no, no, no..." I cried hoarsely, tears threatening to fall. Brus snickered before erupting into wild laughter. He held his stomach as crows feet nestled at the corners of his eyes. His laughter was sharp, and deep. His laughter was ugly.

"You're such a naïve bitch, God. How were you my brother's mate, again? Honestly, when Victoria and Thaddeus told me this...that you...such a puny unblossomed was my great, alpha brother's mate..." He ranted, shaking his head in disbelief.

I froze.

"Victoria? Thaddeus?" I breathed. Brus stopped his ranting for a moment, to give me a long, catlike sneer. His striking emerald green eyes only made it seem more cruel. He approached me slowly, still looking at me intently.

"Oh, that's right." He said, voice smooth like honey.

"You don't know who Victoria is...or Thaddeus. Hm, hm, hm. How delicious." He erupted into laughter again, laughing so profoundly deep, that he pounded his knees. All I could do was watch. I was so cold.

"Oh dear, sweet Peyton. Here's a newsflash: Victoria is the hot, sexy redhead vampire who kidnapped you, and Thaddeus is her brother. The toughie with a ponytail. Here's a newsflash : Dimitri, Victoria's concubine, was killed in that fire at Deregu Falls.

Victoria and Thaddeus survived, because they were wearing daylight rings, which protected them from both the sun's rays, and...that's right. Flames.

There you go, babe. Your kidnappers survived...and they got away. But that's not the part you should be worried about.

Victoria's gonna come after you. Her and her brother, because Raphael killed her mate...and since you're Raphael's mate..well baby, there you go. You. Are. Dead. Meat."

I took in his every taunting word with increasing levels of horror and denial. It couldn't be true. He was lying. Victoria and her brother died...we...we saw the ashes...I saw the ashes! I felt the blood in my cheeks slowly drain away as this sunk in. It couldn't be...vampires...they were still...how were they still alive? No, no, no, No! It wasn't fair!

He began to laugh.

"Oh shut up!" I screeched suddenly, hot tears flowing down my cheeks. I was surprised at my own boldness.

"Raphael's not dead! If he really is my mate, I'd know if he was dead or not!" I cried, my hands forming into fists.

"You may look exactly like him, you may be his brother, but you're nothing like Raphael, and you could never kill him, 'cause he's stronger than you! He's stronger than anyone I've ever known, and guess what? When he comes, he's not just gonna kill you. He's gonna kill those vampires too." I breathed, chest heaving up and down. I got the satisfaction of silencing this Brus guy...but only for a little while.

Still very emotional, I watched, as slowly, he brought his brown hands together and began to clap. I shook my head in disbelief.

He began to freaking clap.

Clap. Clap, clap.

"Bravo, Peyton Clarke. Bravo, aren't you a fiesty one, eh?" He smirked, dimple in his left cheek. I resisted the urge to smack that dimple right off his face.

"So, you were right. My...annoying brother is...unfortunately, not dead. But don't be fooled. I will kill him. When you're gone...and you've forgotten this incident even happened." He continued, musing. I scoffed, even more confused. He looked at me clearly.

"Yeah. You were probably wondering where you were...and how you got here...and how much time has passed...blah bluh blah. Lemme break it down for you : none of this, is entirely real.

What I've said, is totes true, don't get me wrong babe...but this place...is totally imaginary. Yep, right now, I'm compelling you, into this place in my mind. I've compelled that dress onto your skinny body." He smirked.

"I could take it off, if I wanted to. See, you only think you're here. Really, you're still naked, in your shower, totally blacked out. Angela locked the door on you, thinking it would be funny, and you're there, lying on the tiles, slowly drowning. You've got about five minutes left." He intoned.

My jaws parted in shock. He smirked.

"Yeah. That's right. I'm one sick, son of a bitch. LOL. Literally. You get my pun? Of course you do. Now that I've had my fun... I guess it's time to erase your memory," he frowned.

Before I could take in what he'd said, or react, suddenly, he was inches away from me, eyes a dark, forestry green. I paled, as his face did, allowing me to see the whispery veins all along his face. He brought his forefingers forcefully to the sides of my head, causing my eyes to snap shut.

One second, there was a pounding, forceful energy in my head, the next...all I could see was black.

********