Capricious

Capricious; changing according to no discernible rules; unpredictable.

C H A P T E R     F I F T Y - O N E 

I was literally hopping like a frog who couldn't wait to kiss her prince on the way to the cafe to pick up the muffin for Noah. It seemed so silly now that this is what I was scared of when in actuality, it was the best, most extraordinary, and indefinable feeling in the world. It was unbelievably insane how one realization could change your take on life.

Love.

It was a four-letter word, that's it. But the absurd amount of peace and joy that it brought along with itself in your life was beyond doubt, the best thing that could ever happen to you. I couldn't wait to go up to him, tell him and see that indisputable look of happiness on his face. The thought of waiting for the right moment crossed my mind, and immediately another one replaced it, there was no need to wait for the right moment with Noah because every moment spent with him was nothing but right.

I told Steph to get Noah's daily order, and she came back with it within a minute. I thanked her and greeted her goodbye as I moved towards the door. I was about to exit when I heard someone call me from behind. I turned around with a smile to find Sebastian waving at me.

"Hey, Sydney," he greeted me.

"Hello, Sebastian," I returned his greeting, beaming.

"Could I talk to you for a minute?" he asked, gesturing me to grab a seat.

I was very much inclining towards saying no because right now, I really didn't happen to have any interest in what he had to say. I was too giddy about another world of mine. But he looked at me with such a hopeful expression; I couldn't refuse. "Yeah sure, what's up, is everything okay?"

"Alright, I don't know how to beat around the bush, so I'm gonna come straight to the point," he said, watching me intently, and I nodded. "How do you handle things so well with Noah and Tiffany being so close after--I mean, they tell each other each and everything," creases formed on the fair skin of his forehead as he described his concern.

"Well, yeah, they're best friends, so that's bound to happen. Besides, I know the place of a best friend in one's life, and I don't think you have anything to worry about, Noah doesn't harbor any kind of feelings at all for her which I'm sure is the case with Tiffany as well," I answered, finding it very weird that someone like Sebastian was worried about something so menial.

"Yes, of course, you're absolutely right. And I don't personally have any beef with Noah at all; the guy genuinely seems to be so in love with you, but it's just hard you know, seeing how they're so normal and close after everything that happened," he said, hesitantly.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I paid him a small smile. "What do you mean? What happened?"

"I'm talking about the fact that they've history together," he stifled out a laugh, nervously.

"Sebastian, unless you're talking about a class, I don't think they've any other history together," I said, presenting a weak argument, not one bit ready to believe what was to come.

"You don't know?" he asked, very surprised.

"What? I don't know what?"

"Sydney, Noah and Tiffany dated once," he said, and it felt like someone had very swiftly snatched the ground from below my feet.

"You're...You're joking, right?" I asked for reassurance, hoping this was all some cruel joke that Sebastian was playing on me

"No, Tiffany told me last week. I assumed that you knew, I'm sorry," he apologized, but by then, I had already stopped caring for what he had to say.