Viraha

Viraha (Hindi); the realization of love through separation.

C H A P T E R     F I F T Y - F O U R 

Noah's POV

The moment I heard Matt, everything in my world went rigid, and words left me. I wasn't paying attention to anything else he said on the phone. I had never experienced such unforeseen pain; Jordan took the phone from my hand and finished the rest of the conversation. All I wanted to do was get to her. Nothing else in the world mattered.

"Jordan, get your car," I yelled at him.

"Noah, it is--" I cut him off in the middle.

"I don't give a damn, reach over there with your car," I told him, and he nodded, not arguing with me any further.

Chase and I ran towards her dorm room. My brain was stuttering with thought, and I had absolutely no idea what to do. I ran like my life depended on it because it quite literally did, and I didn't care about anyone else at that moment. I finally saw Sydney in Scarlett's lap, her eyes closed, and Scarlett was crying non-stop.

My feet paused, not having enough determination to take one more step. Ice replaced my spine as I was having my true fears realized. Every breath I took seemed hollow, every place of my life that was filled with light, now there was only darkness everywhere.

"What happened to her?" I heard Chase ask Scarlett.

"I think she overdosed, and she couldn't move her right arm, I think it's fractured," she spoke, between sobs.

My entire body went numb at the word overdose, and then I saw the bottle of pills that I was arguing with her about a few hours ago. I sat down next to Scar, my heart more troublesome than it has ever been. Sydney had never looked so dim; her skin missed the radiance that it seemed to possess all the time. She was so motionless and still, I couldn't even cry. I was so profoundly drowned in denial that I hadn't even reacted to what I saw. I was in a state of disbelief, still hoping that someone would wake me up and notify me of the terrifying dream.

Jordan arrived in his car a few minutes after. "We don't have time to waste waiting for the ambulance, let's go," I said, taking Sydney in my arms in one swift move.

I was shocked at how little she weighed, she was thin, I was aware of that but what the hell? I already knew that I was going to be eating all three meals of the day with her from now on. How are you going to eat meals with her if she doesn't wake up? My mind questioned, and I gritted my teeth, throwing that illogical thought out of my brain. We sat in the car, and Chase and Matt were reaching the hospital in a cab.

Every time in my life, I had faced the loss of a loved one, I was only informed of their loss. They had already left me and the world, leaving me with no choice but to accept that. But this time, I was literally losing the love of my life in front of my eyes. I knew I was strong, but nothing in the world could ever prepare me for something like this. I knew that our fight was worse than it had ever been, but I also knew that I would stop at nothing to get her back and that it was only a matter of time before she came running back into my arms. And, now, this had taken place.

No, she has to wake up. She has no choice; I love her way too much for her to leave me. She cannot leave me.

We reached the hospital, and they took her in, and all of us were left with nothing to do but wait. Scarlett was hugging Jordan and crying still. I resented everyone else's stares and touch. I was just left alone with my thoughts. I asked Scarlett to call Sydney's parents.

Loss was the part of love that nobody warned you about, that if you ever put in a situation where the person who holds your heart faces any kind of harm, it's not only them who is in pain, it's you as well. I had treasured every minute I had gotten to spend with her, my arm always around her waist, my infinite efforts to make her laugh for a few seconds so I would be the one causing happiness to her face, those damningly beautiful kisses that we shared, I was not ready to accept that all of it was going to become only a remembrance in my life.