Chapter 32 The way way back

My eyes fluttered open, and the shock almost caused me to disconnect. Taking a grip of myself, I realized the perfect opportunity just presented itself to me. This was exactly what I needed to even out the playing field.

Hello again. I greeted the alpha of the group of Lupa, who seemed to be rather resigned at their luck of running into me again. I took the lack of hostility as a good sign and suddenly an idea crossed my mind. They had said before that I had reminded them of a human who had made a pact with their ancestor. Could it be?

I am here to confirm the renewal of the pact that we made long ago. I began, sensing the mood shift as the pack of Lupa got my words. It must have been Akram who had made that deal; there was no other explanation. He was the only one with the power and vision to do it.

Excellent. The wolfs’ excitement was palpable and once again I was reminded how animals seemed to be able to keep their promises for generation, and yet humans’ seemed so weak and breakable.

But first, I need your help. I smiled and related my plan to it. To my relief, the Lupa readily agreed to the plan and assured me that it would be done discretely. I stole a glance at Liam’s direction and whatever they had done to the device; it seemed to render it completely useless except for coughing up that fake spot leading us south-east.

Having solved my most pressing concern, I was able to make it through the rest of the day without tearing my hair out in frustration. With new allies on my side, I was ready to take on whatever Gerald was going to throw at me. The leader of the pack had also informed me that there was a Ruin in the direction we were heading, but it had long been claimed by several pack of felixia.

My eyes widened at the information; surely we weren’t heading there towards certain death. However, that sounded exactly like something Gerald would do, leading us straight into the center of the nests just to meet a random dude to get information.

I tried to draw up a mental map of the region to gauge the scale of the Ruin; we were roughly where the Ganesh family guard was ambushed, somewhere high up in the Himalaya. If we go south-east we would be entering the Indian plains, and there was no shortage of cities down there.

With the Legres scouting for us, I didn’t even needed to bother checking myself, but I still did a thorough sweep every half an hour and get updates from the pack as well.

“So,” Casey slowed her pace, so she was walking alongside me, detaching herself from Vanessa and Liam. I pulled myself back to the present and directed my attention to my old friend. “You and Tom huh?”

A violent blush made its way to my face. That was not what I expected at all. Laughing heartily Casey slapped me on the shoulder, not needing any more confirmation other than my red cheeks.

“I always knew there was something going on with you two.” She teased her tone nostalgic. “I just didn’t know you had it in you to snog that guy in front of everyone.”

My jaw dropped open, and I glared at Liam’s back, knowing he must be the one who spilled the beans to Casey. He didn’t even see it himself!

“It was painful enough watching you two interact around each other.” Casey continued, ignoring my increasing scarlet face. “I mean, we were too busy trying to stay alive but god, the sexual tension was so awkward.”