Part II Chapter 30 - Magic Lesson

***Lynett***

I messed up.

It was careless of me to think that no one would be able to tell. Most people wouldn't, but there are always exceptions. That's right, he is in charge of the magic department, of course he would be able to tell.

It's not so bad though. I wanted to stand out, and now that the head teacher is keeping an eye on me, I definitely do. I'm just hoping not to attract too much attention, to the point where the big shots would notice me. Just enough so that I would be selected as a participant for the upcoming competition, and that's it. I need to be forgettable.

"You are incredible!" Vivian exulted. I could almost see some stars in her eyes.

"Keep your voice down," I advised. "We're not alone."

After the class ended, I joined Vivian in the refectory for lunch break. It's been five minutes that we've sat down at the table, but she still hasn't started eating. Instead, she keeps talking about what just happened.

"The advanced class," she dreamed. "Do you even realize? You just arrived and you're already joining Mustache's classes! You are so awesome!"

I could feel my cheeks turning red as she kept showering me compliments.

"But... didn't you find it weird for him to choose me instead of Lucius?" I inquired.

The young girl tilted her head, her eyes wandering.

"To be honest, I did at first, just a little bit," she admitted. "But since it's Mustache, he probably has his reasons."

Lost in her own enthusiasm, Vivian finally started eating her lunch. I've already noticed it last time, but she seems to have a big appetite. This time again she took a big serving. Well, she's a growing girl, I guess? It was somewhat pleasing to see her eat to her heart content. No useless etiquette, just a girl and her meal. Our last meal together didn't go so well and she couldn't finish her dinner, so hopefully, this time it'll all go well.

But of course not...

"And have you seen Lucius' face? That was hilarious!"

As Vivian burst out laughing, remembering the scene, someone kicked the bench she was sitting on, choking her laughter at once. When she turned around, she gasped in surprise.

"Glad to hear I amused you," Lucius snarled with a threatening look.

Vivian immediately lowered her gaze, her face flushing in embarrassment. The boy however, didn't pay any more attention to her than this. He immediately shifted is furious gaze on me.

"I want a rematch," he demanded.

I blinked several times at him.

"A rematch?" I frowned. "What for?"

Lucius' eyelids twitched as he shot me a deadly glare. Suddenly, he slammed the palm of his hand down on the table, causing the plates to jolt on the impact.

"Don't play dumb!" He bellowed. "I know you cheated!"

What the hell? That's ridiculous.

"You stole my place!" He continued. "I should be the one to go to the advanced classes, not you! So I demand a rematch!"

Well, I can see where he is coming from, but that's really not my problem. In fact, I even let him win to save his face, isn't that enough?

I sighed.

"Not interested," I said as I took a sip in my cup of water.

The boy glared at me for a few seconds. Then a smirk formed on his lips.