Chapter 25

Jasper's POV

Three hours into the drive, Hattie's car was in desperate need of gas. Most of the ride, we sat there in silence. Evan had made his was to the front of the car while Hattie sat in the back with her leg stretched out on the backseat. 

The sun was beginning to set, and I knew that we wouldn't make it there before dark. Now, I was standing at a gas pump outside of a small gas station while Hattie and Evan went inside to get food for us. As I was pumping the gas, I felt my phone buzz once in my pocket. I pulled it out to see that my mom had texted me.

Where are you?

I looked up into the gas stationed to see Evan and Hattie towards the back looking at drinks. Evan then said something, which caused Hattie to laugh. I felt the corner of my mouth pulling up into a smile. It was good that she was laughing. She's been through so much today, so I knew that she needed to be happy.

I quickly hit the call button and held my phone up to my ear. It only rang once.

"Jasper," my mom said with a sigh of relief.

"Hey mom," I say as I turn my attention back to the pump.

"Where are you?" I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was worried, and she has every right to be.

"About half an away away from Des Moins," I say.

"What? she asked in confusion. "Why are you there?"

"I'm taking Hattie to her grandparents house," I explain to her. "She was in no condition to drive."

"What happened? Is she alright?" she asked suddenly.

"She's fine now," I tell her. "She wasn't earlier, though. Her mom..." I started to say, but then trailed off. 

"She showed up on our porch not long after you left," she sighed. "Something is off with her. It was like she a different person. Did Hattie say anything?"

"Not much," I tell her as I finish up filling the car. "Apparently her mom showed up with a new husband that Hattie had no idea about."

"Wait, she had guy trailing behind her when she walked up to the door. He's like twenty, though," she said, clearly in shock.

"Seriously?" I asked in disgust. That thought of a twenty year old man being the stepfather of Hattie was very unsettling. 

"It's good that you're up there with her," my mom said with a sigh. "I know you and Hattie have had your differences, but I'm glad you're up there with her."

"Thanks, mom," I say as I watched the receipt come out of the pump. I quickly grabbed it and tucked it into my back pocket.

"Is it just you two going? I saw that other boy get in the car with you two," she asked.

"Evans here too," I tell her as I glance back up to the store. "He and Hattie are getting food while I pumped gas."

She chuckled. "Looks like she has two boys that care about her."

"Mom," I groan as I run my hand through my hair, but what she said was true. I did care about her, but I was sure Evan cared more than me. Even if it's by a little.

"What?  Am I not aloud to tease you a little bit?" She questioned with a laugh. "Just keep us updated though."

"Your're not going to tell Hattie's mom where we're going right?" I asked, and the thought of being hunted down by Eleanor did not seem like fun.

"Oh, hell no," she said quickly, causing me to let out a laugh.

Just then, both Hattie and Evan stepped out of the store and began walking over to me and the car. Evans hands were full of shopping bags.