chapter ten- mia

Chapter Ten

The further south we go, the nicer the weather gets. Even though it's the end of winter, the sun is bright and the air is warm and the sky is a clear shade of blue with streaks of white rarely interrupting the pureness of it. I let my fingers drift out the open window, just enjoying the music playing and the quiet.

Wade wasn't kidding about the resort. From the moment we near the center of the city, I see the towering building. The four-star hotel looks like a palace, looming over a vast beach speckled with people. It's an amazing place, the kind of place our parents would've taken my brother and me before Purgatory took over our lives. Now, I'm here for all the wrong reasons.

There's no danger here. I can tell because Wade doesn't look like he's on edge. He's hyperaware of his surroundings at all times. When he's at his apartment, he relaxes a little, but when he's in the warehouse or anywhere near my brother, he's rigid, on high-alert. The only people at this resort are families and tourists. That's why it's the perfect place to hide out; it's so out in the open, so packed no one would expect us to be here. Drug lords don't handle business around innocent people, not unless it's unavoidable.

"Let's get checked in," Wade says, turning the engine off.

We grab our bags and walk through the revolving door leading into the lobby. The floors are waxy and pristine: a sharp contrast to the shady motel room we stayed in last night. There are employees everywhere, smooth jazz playing through speakers mounted on the walls. They even have live plants, fancy couches, and plenty of beauty for everyone to take in.

I hang back as Wade gets to the front desk. The woman there is totally checking him out as she types away at the computer, but he doesn't return her flirting. He just smiles at her curtly every now and then, all while she gives him a silly giggle and twirls her hair. Wade is nothing but polite. He's charismatic and unassuming like Thomas has to be, like every demon has to be.

Within minutes, he has two room keys in his hand.

We're alone in the mirrored elevator, which means there's no crowding or other floors to wait on. He hits the button marked for the fifth floor and takes us up. Unsurprisingly, the hallways are as pristine as the lobby is.

The hotel room itself is where I'm truly blown away. A bay window reveals a gorgeous view of the ocean, the waves lashing at the shore. White curtains blow with the breeze. It smells of the sea and sunlight keeps it warm and brightly lit. It's beautiful here too.

There's an air of romance to this place, which is why I'm glad there are two beds instead of one. It spares the awkwardness of figuring out who's sleeping where. I step forward, carpet squishing under my shoes as I survey the place.

"Wow," I gasp.

"Nicest place I've ever stayed in," Wade remarks. He sets his bag down on one of the beds, picking the one closest to the door.

I throw myself onto the other one and bury my face in the soft, white pillows. "I never want to leave here. Let's run to this place when we leave Purgatory."

"If we could afford it, I'd say yes," he says. "But neither of us have that kind of money."

"You're right," I agree.

I find myself propping my chin against one of my hands, looking out the window at the gorgeous view. Someone races by on a jet ski, splashing water as they whiz out beyond the beach. Kids play in the water. People sunbathe. Everyone is so content. I'm tempted to join them.

"Want to go down later?" asks Wade as if he's reading my mind.

I didn't think he would be in the mood to do anything, but right now, he seems genuinely at ease. Maybe even excited to be here.