i. my life

chapter 1 - my life

chapter 1 - my life

For as long as Dakota could remember, she had continued to live the same life at Trikru.

Her brother, Lincoln, was one of the healers in their clan and he was always a bit overprotective when it came to guarding her life. When she was a child she wasn't the strongest, so she couldn't practice fighting with the other children. Instead, Lincoln was the one to train her how to fight. He also taught her the ways of being a healer, so she also carries that skill set in her back pocket.

Even though Kota couldn't fight that well back then, she was still looking for adventure. Thankfully, she had always been stealthy and good at sneaking around, so she would always slip out of the village pretty frequently to go exploring. One day, however, she wandered off too far and ended up in Azgeda territory. Where, unfortunately, one of their people caught sight of her and decided not to show her mercy.

He threw a sharp blade at her first before he went in for the kill. It sliced across her abdomen, sending her to the ground with an agonizing pain that she had never experienced before. The warrior started to charge after her but in that moment Lincoln came out of nowhere and tackled him to the ground. They wrestled for a while before Lincoln ended up killing him. He saved Kota's life and brought her back to their shared cave in the forest to treat her bloodied wound.

Even though that traumatic day caused Dakota great pain, it was still one of the best days of her life. Why, you might ask? Well, it's because, on that day, the young girl gained her very first scar. It was about six inches long and stretched diagonally across her abdomen. Gaining scars had always been important to Trikru warriors and they wear them with pride. Now, she did too.

Ever since then, Lincoln would never allow her to leave the village, and there would even be occasions when she wasn't allowed to leave their tent or cave either. She was angry with him for not letting her go explore, but eventually, she understood why he did it. He just wanted her to be safe. Especially, because he knew that she wasn't good at defending herself at the time.

The thing is, Kota was now seventeen and she'd like to think that she was not that defenseless little girl anymore; that she was no longer naïve and weak. She's been through so much since then and her eyes have seen too many things for her to keep an innocent mindset. She was much stronger and smarter now, however, Lincoln still didn't see it that way. He still feared for his sister to leave the village, even if it was just to go hunting with the others.

Because of this, she couldn't become a warrior or hunter for the clan. Instead, Lincoln thought it would be best if she worked serving and aiding the Commander in her quarters. That way she could be more protected within the walls of their village and could stay away from danger.