Chapter 22: A Change

Grace exited Hogwarts, pulling her cloak tighter around her as the cold, fall air met her skin. It was times like this that she wished she was snuggled up by a warm fire. She certainly did not wish to meet with Ryan, but he insisted.

"Grace," he mumbled softly, a smile inching onto his face once he spotted her. He reached for her hand and gently led her to one of the benches that were scattered around the courtyard.

Grace slowly sat down next to him, crossing one leg over the other as she fixed her gaze on his dark eyes, waiting for him to initiate the conversation.

"Look, I just wanted to apologize...for everything," began Ryan. "I was hoping we could start over. I miss you. I miss us. We used to be great together. I think we still can be."

She had to use all of her strength to not let her jaw drop to the ground beneath them. Was he serious right now?

"You're joking, right?" she scoffed, a stunned laugh pushing its way out. "You hurt me in ways I didn't know I could be hurt. For Merlin's sake, this entire relationship was a lie!" Grace stood up abruptly, but Ryan was quick to follow.

"It wasn't entirely a lie. I really liked you, Grace. I still do." Ryan brought his hand up to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear, goosebumps rushing up her spine. "Things can be different now."

Grace sighed, closing her eyes. She felt Ryan's lips press against her neck, trailing up to her ear.

"He will never make you feel the way I make you feel," he whispered. Grace's eyes snapped open and she took a step back.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, her cheeks turning red...from the cold.

"That stupid Dolohov boy," Ryan snapped back. "I see how you look at him. You're bloody obsessed."

"I'm n-"

"You are. However, another thing you should be is careful. He has secrets, Grace. You're better off without him."

"And you think I'm better off with you?" she retaliated.

"Yes," Ryan stated simply. "Dolohov is a fucking lunatic. He gets it from his father. Trust me, he's not the one you're looking for."

"So I'm just supposed to forget everything you've ever done to me?" Grace questioned, her eyebrows pinching together. "After all those times you hurt me?"

"I've changed, Grace," Ryan sighed. With a glint in his eye, he finished, "I'll treat you how you deserve to be treated." Ryan brought his lips to hers and, shockingly enough, she let him kiss her.

Did Noah Dolohov really have secrets? That was something Grace was determined to find out.