Chapter 6: Dada, Quidditch and Dementors

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas was taken down, so that it could be repaired by Mr. Filch. In the mean time, her portrait was replaced with Sir Cadogan's portrait. No one was happy about it. Sir Cadogan spent half of his time challenging students to duels! Then spends the rest of his time thinking up these ridiculously hard passwords, which he changes twice a day! Seamus said to Percy, as he points to Sir Cadogan, "He's a lunatic! Can't we get anyone else?" Percy said, "None of the other pictures wanted the job. Frightened of what happened to the Fat Lady. Sir Cadogan was the only one brave enough to volunteer." Sir Cadogan was the least of Harry's worried. Teachers were closely watching him, where ever he went! To make things worse, McGonagall summoned Harry to her office. Harry enters her office to find not only his head of house, but Snape as well. McGonagall's expression was grim, whereas Snape's expression was a look of annoyance. She said, "There's no point hiding it from you any longer, Harry," she said, "I know this will come as a shock to you, but Sirius Black...." Harry said, "I know he's after me, Professor. My dad told me, before term started." McGonagall looks at Snape in shock, before turning back to Harry. She said, "I see! Well, in that case, Harry, you'll understand why I don't think it's a good idea for you to be practicing Quidditch in the evenings. Out on the field with only your team members, it's very exposed, Harry." Harry was outraged as he said, "What?! We got our first match on Saturday! I have to train, Professor!" Snape said, "I told you he would react this way, Minerva." McGonagall glares at Snape, then turns back to Harry. She said, "Hmmm, Well, goodness knows, I'd like to see us win the Cup at last, but all the same, Harry, I'd be happier if a teacher were present. I'll ask Madam Hooch to oversee your training sessions." Snape said, "I will be willing to volunteer to watch Harry's training sessions. He is, after all, my son." McGonagall said, "As long as you don't go telling the Slytherin Quidditch team afterwards, I don't see why not, Severus." Snape said, "I won't, Minerva. You have my word." McGonagall said, "Very well." She looks at Harry, "You may continue your Quidditch practice, Harry." Harry smiles, "Thank you, Professor." Snape smiles slightly at Harry. Harry practiced with his fellow team mates as Snape supervised the practice. Harry had already explained to Oliver about it, so he understood. After their last training session, before Saturday's match, Oliver had some bad news for his team. He said, angrily, "We're not playing Slytherin! Flint's just been to see me. We're playing Hufflepuff instead." The team said, "Why?" Oliver said, "Flint's excuse is that their Seeker's arm's still injured. but it's obvious why they're doing it. They don't want to play in this weather. They think it'll damage their chances." Harry said furiously, "There's nothing wrong with Malfoy's arm! He's faking it!" Wood said bitterly, "I know, but we can't prove it. We've been practicing all those moves, thinking that we were going to play against Slytherin. Instead, it's Hufflepuff. Their style is quite different. They have a new Captain and Seeker as well, Cedric Diggory." Wood shouts as he continues, "He's an excellent Seeker! We mustn't relax! We must keep our focus! Slytherin is trying to wrong-foot us! We must win!" Fred said, looking a bit alarmed, "Oliver, calm down! We're taking Hufflepuff very seriously. Seriously." 

With that and Sirius on his mind, he heads up to the castle to get washed up. After washing up, he starts heading to Gryffindor tower to work on his homework. On the way there, a voice from inside one of the rooms said, "Harry?" Harry doubles back to see who had called him. It was Lupin as he looks around his office door. Lupin said, "What are you doing? Where are Ron and Hermione?" Harry said, "They're in their common room, doing their homework. I'm on my way there, sir." Lupin considers Harry for a moment, then smiles, "Why don't you come in? I've just received a delivery of a grindylow for our next lesson." Harry said, "A what?" Harry follows Lupin into the office. There in the corner, stood a large tank of water. A green-looking creature with sharp little horns, had its face pressed against the glass. It was pulling faces and flexing its long fingers. Lupin said, "Water demon. We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the Kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle." The grindylow bares its green teeth and then buries itself in the weeds that were in the corner of the tank. Lupin said as he heats water in a teapot, "Would you like a cup of tea, Harry? I was just thinking of making one myself." Harry said, "All right." Lupin taps the teapot with his wand and a blast of steam suddenly comes out from the spout." Lupin takes the lid off a tin and said, "Sit down. I've only got teabags, I'm afraid, but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves?" Harry looks at him, surprised, "How did you know about that?" Lupin said, "Professor McGonagall told me." He passes Harry a mug of tea. He said, "You're not worried, are you?" Harry said, "No. I was going to ask you about the boggart, but I already talked to Snape about it, since he did stop me from facing it." Lupin said, "I thought, just as Severus did, that it would turn into Voldemort." The only 2 people that Harry had ever hear, saying the name (apart from himself, of course) was Dumbledore and Snape. Lupin said, "Clearly, I was wrong when a dementor appeared in the staffroom for a brief moment, before Severus went in front of you. I didn't want the students to panic." Harry nods, "I did think of him at first, but then I remembered the dementor that attacked me on the train...." Lupin looks thoughtful, then said, "I see. Well.... I'm impressed." He smiles slightly at the look of surprise on Harry's face. He said, "That suggests that what you fear most of all is, fear itself. Very wise, Harry." Harry didn't know what to say to that, so he drank some more tea. Lupin said, "So you've been thinking that I didn't believe you capable of fighting the boggart?" Harry said, "Well yeah. Professor Lupin, you know the dementors...." Harry was interrupted by a knock at the door. Lupin said, "Come in."