15

Hermione sought Alexandra out that very same day, finding her in the library. She'd dragged her out to the Black Lake.

"Alex-" She said.

"Please, Hermione. Please don't ask me about what happened."

"You know I will."

"Can't you just leave it?"

"You know I can't. You're a werewolf, aren't you?" Hermione said. "I didn't think your eyes could change colour but it's the only that makes sense. Is that why you left?"

"Hermione-"

"Is that how you got close to Fluffy?"

"Fluffy?" Alexandra looked confused.

"Snuffles." Hermione sighed. "His name is actually Fluffy. He's Hagrid's on loan to Dumbledore. Apparently he's guarding something to do with Flamel. Have you heard of him? Nicholas Flamel?" She asked. Alexandra's eyes widened. Quirrell's place at the school finally made sense. "You know, don't you?"

"I'm not a werewolf, Hermione." Alexandra decided to focus Hermione on herself rather than anything that could lead to Quirrell. If Hermione got on his radar, along with Ron and Harry- who was already a pain in his arse- who knows what could happen.

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, her interest piqued.

"What I'm about to tell you you can never disclose to another soul. Hermione, I'm trusting you and that doesn't come easily to me. You can't tell my brothers, or Harry- definitely not Harry- or any other concerned parties. You must swear to me, Hermione."

"I swear. What is it, Alex? What's so important we can't tell anyone?"

"My biggest secret." She replied. Hermione's eyes widened. "Do you still promise not to tell anyone?"

"I promise. I can't promise not to nag you to tell others, but I won't break your trust."

"I told you I was adopted, right?"

"Yes."

"I've never met my biological parents. My mother's not alive, and I don't even know if my father knows I exist. All I know is my mother was the daughter of Voldemort."

"What?" Hermione looked cautiously at her friend. "Did I hear you right?"

"Yeah. Voldemort. He-who-shall-not-be-named. You-know-who. Whatever he goes by. He had a daughter before anyone knew him as Voldemort."

"And you're his daughter's daughter?"

"When I was born, my biological mother died in childbirth. She supported Voldemort, but she was apparently in love with my biological father- a muggle. She didn't want her father to kill him, or me and she definitely didn't want to involve me in any of Voldemort's plans. So she went to the only person she could trust to keep me away from him. Dumbledore. She told him as soon as she found out she was pregnant. He started making plans for me, and told my mum and dad that he'd like them to raise me. They said yeah, and I suppose the rest is history."

"Alex!" Hermione brought her in for a hug.

"Why don't you hate me?"

"For what? You might not have Weasley blood running through your veins, but you're a Weasley through and through. You were raised by them. And I have no doubt in my mind you would tell Voldemort to sod off if he were still here. Right?"

"Voldemort's mother was a pure-blood witch. That part of my family is full of criminals and violence and hatred."

"They aren't your family. Ron is. And Fred and George and Percy and Charlie. And your mum and dad."

"What if I'm evil? What if it's in my blood, just like Harry's quidditch skills is in his? What if I can't help it?"

"The hat- it put you in Hufflepuff."

"It debated it."

"Either way, Hufflepuff won out. Because you're extremely loyal, and you're loyal to your mum and dad and brothers. No rotten old dead evil grandfathers will ruin that."

"You can't tell anyone. My mum and dad know that I know."

"I won't tell anyone."

"Not even Ron."

"Not even Ron. But he won't judge you."

"Maybe not at the end, but he would at first. I love Ron, but he'll hate me. He can't help it- he acts before he thinks, and I can't take him hating me. I can make him not want to be near me, but I don't want him to hate me."

"What about Fred and George?"

"I just don't want anyone to know. Percy I could never expect to keep it a secret. If it felt wrong, he'd report it. He'd probably tell the ministry or something."

"They don't know?"

"No. Do you think they'd allow the granddaughter of one of the most evil wizards go to the same school as the boy who lived?"

"Point taken."

"Dumbledore never told them. I don't even know if they know I was adopted."

"Well, I will never judge you. Is that really why you ran away?"

"More or less."

"Well, if your mum and dad knew that- that you-know-who was related to you, then surely you knew they wouldn't care."

"I wasn't scared they'd hate me. They've never treated me less than a daughter. I- it's a long story. But there you go. You know my big secret and you're the first person I've ever told. The grown ups don't count because they knew before I did."

"Well, I don't hate you. You're not going to go evil. Okay?"

"How are you so sure?"

"Because you're the same girl who told her brother to shove it when he was picking on a classmate. The girl who spent hours trying to make said classmate feel better. The girl who jumped onto a troll and fought it to save the classmates, even if it meant revealing secrets she never wanted to come out."

"Friend. Not classmate."

"You dodged my question. About your eyes. You say you're not a werewolf- what are you?"

"I would rather never talk about that. Hermione, please. You've got enough secrets out of me as is. Don't push me."

"Fine. You can tell me one day."

"Maybe." Alexandra shrugged. "Let's just take in the sun. It's never this sunny during Autumn." There was a pause. "By the way, you forgot Bill."

"Huh?" Hermione asked.

"While you were listing my family. You forgot Bill and Ginny."

"Who are Bill and Ginny?"

"Ginny's the youngest, a year younger than Ron. And Bill's the oldest, two years older than Charlie. We're a big family."