-9-

jane
"jane I'm home!" called out the voice of my adoptive father and I jumped up out of my bed and went to hugged him.

"hi, dad" I smiled at him warmly.

"hey kiddo how was your day"

"to be honest shitty-"

"language, but I'll let it slide this time, what happened?"

"stuff, there's this new girl and I keep screwing up with being her friend"

"i'm sorry, how are things with you and mike?"

"um, we broke up like a day ago"

"oh." he looks at me and sighs. "well I always knew that boy was trouble anyways, need me to go give him a long talk-"

"yeah, dad please don't"

he laughs and then goes to sit on the couch turning on the t.v. "hey dad? is it okay if I go out?"

"sure, but be home by 8"

"mkay" I say slipping out and walking to the nearest bus stop to town.

The smell of nachos and sweaty teenagers filled my nose as I walked into the arcade looking for max and found mike, will, and her of course having fun. well great, I was kind of hoping to talk to her alone.

max

"hey loser, bet you can't top that score" I gloat to mike as he glares at me then turns to will asking how did i beat his high score. Then I see her, the person I really didn't wanna see but in a way I kind of did.

"I'll be right back" I say to mike and will as I walk towards jane, "why are you here?"

"I-well I figured you'd be here and I wanted to talk to you... wait why are you hanging out with mike?"

"doesn't matter, what do you even have to say?"

"uh yeah it does just because I was mean to you today doesn't mean you can go make a move on my ex-"

"oh gross, no that's not what i'm doing he's with wi-" I clap my hand over my mouth, "shit, I really shouldn't have said that"

janes eyes widen as she pushes past me making her way to mike, "you idiot! I can't believe you, dumping me for your best friend, I didn't even know you were gay!" jane says loudly and people stare.

mikes face turns two shades darker than red and makes a run for it before anymore humiliation.

"what the hell jane? that is so not okay

"god max maybe stop making everything worse like you've been doing ever since you got here"

I watch as she walks away fuming and try not to cry because maybe she's right I have made everything worse.