Chapter Sixteen

~*~

~*~

The green forests of Sorgan are warm, and inviting. If there's a planet where Dessa would want to spend the rest of her life in, this one would be it, especially now that there was peace in the villages now that the raiders have left them alone.

She thought they were heading back to the village at first. But Din lands the Razor Crest in the middle of the forest, where a large building stood not too far up ahead. She, Din, and the child walk through the forest together. She glances back at the child every once in a while to make sure he's keeping up with them, and the child is doing a great job at it so far despite being so small.

"I don't remember this place," she frowns, and glances around the area for any sign of familiarity. 

"You were kind of dying," Din says, and she glances back at him, shocked. He tenses, and suddenly stops walking. She frowns, and gives his shoulder a gentle squeeze, and the movement seems to snap him out of his thoughts, as he glances back at her. "Sorry, it's just not very fond memories for me. I was kind of in a middle of a heart attack."

"Still not letting that go, huh?" Her shoulders tense.

"Nope," he answers with a small shrug.

Fair enough. 

"What were you doing here?" She asks.

"The kid was hungry," he replies, and glances down at the child who'd been staring up at them in confusion, probably wandering why they'd stopped. "and I was looking for a doctor to help you."

"And that's how we got to the village," she realizes.

"Yeah," he replies stiffly. "You said my name in your sleep, you know."

Dessa glances over at him, stopping in her tracks. Now his behavior was starting to make sense. She couldn't even remember anything that happened up until that point.

"I didn't know," she says quietly.

"I figured," he nods. "you wouldn't have done that name guessing game if you had known."

Her cheeks warm.

"My favorite was Oberon," he teases her.

"You are so annoying!" She exclaims l, embarrassed that she even thought of the guessing game in the first place.

"But I thought we're fond of each other," he says. She can't see his smile, but she can definitely hear it.

"Still annoying!" She huffs, and after a comfortable silence, asks, "How long will it take to get there? Think the kid's getting tired."

"Not far," he says, as they both glance over at the kid, who's wandering around, staring at the tall plants.

"I almost saw what you looked like back at the village," she confesses, and winces at the sharp head turn in her direction.