Christmas

It was christmas time at last, you could tell from the drastic change in weather.

For the first time in my life I was spending christmas alone, my parents had to work as their hospital was always understaffed and chaotic at this time of year. Atticus was spending the holidays with Jules and her family so therefore I was staying in London.

I didn't mind, I was going to spend the days painting and designing new stage concepts for the tour in the new year. Pluto was asleep on my lap, my pointer finger ruffling under her chin as she purred happily.

The biggest mug of hot chocolate sat in my lap, cradled by my free hand and Gremlins was on the tv screen in-front of me.

Two days ago everyone had gathered at Ross and Waughy's apartment for our own little 'friendmas' where we exchanged gifts. I'd bought them all collectors items from musicians they loved, thanks to Blue who had driven up here to spend the day with me a few weeks back.

The boys had gone back to Manchester for the holidays, they deserved the rest. Ross had pleaded with me to go home with him and spend the holidays with his family but I couldn't leave Pluto behind and his mother was allergic. I promised to ring him every day to let him know how I was. 

It had finally snowed in London, the rooftops coated in heavy snow and the lights twinkled. It was always prettier at night, the view from my flat was perfect.

A knock on my door had me furrow my eyebrows in confusion, why is someone here so late? I gently place Pluto on the cushion next to me and pause the film before walking towards the door.

Matty stood in front of me, snowflakes dusted in his curls and a shopping bag in his hands. He looks up from his feet when he hears the door click open.

"Hi." He says shyly, a soft smile overtaking his features.

"Hi."

He clears his throat, lifting the shopping bag "Thought you could do with some company?"

I stood there not knowing what to say. Instead I open the door wider and indicate for him to come in. He hangs his coat up on the peg and walks over to the sofa, dropping down and gently brushing the cats head before pressing play on the film.

"Aren't you meant to be in Manchester?" I ask, slightly confused as to why he was sat on my couch watching Gremlins and not at home wrestling Louis in the snow like he always does.

He looks up from the film and scratches his head "I thought you could come with me?" a hopeful look on his face.

I sit next to him on the sofa, "Mum heard you were spending Christmas alone and almost had a fit. I also kind of thought we could hang out? I want you there."

I think about it for a moment, "Can I bring the cat?" is the first thing that comes out.

Matty nods quickly "Course, I was going to bring Allen but Sam's taken him with him. Be nice to have the little fleabag with us."

Slapping his arm at the nickname he calls the cat, he had never been a big lover of cats but I know he's a softie for P.

"You sure I won't be in the way?"

"Bea, darling, you're family. They love you just as equally as they love me and Louis."

I laugh at him knowing there's some truth to that, they had always looked after me like their own. I lay my head on his shoulder and nod "I'll come."

He cheers, "We'll leave in the morning, snow's too heavy right now. I brought snacks!"

I'm handed a bag of marshmallows, smiling at knowing where this was going. He pulls out the kit  next and sweets.

Every Christmas Eve when we were kids, our families would get together and us kids would have hot chocolates and make a gingerbread house together.

We spent the rest of the evening watching christmas films and making the gingerbread house. We took turns throwing marshmallows at each other trying to see who could catch the most.

A yawn sneaks out, I lean over and press a kiss to Matty's cheek. "G'night, thank you for tonight. See you in the morning."

I make my way to bed as he goes into the guest room but not before murmuring "Night, it's always a pleasure."