Chapter 28 - A Day with Hunter

Chapter 28 – A Day with Hunter

Paul picked me up at the bus stop at nine in the morning. I have to lie to my parents about why I am dressed like one of the girls in Mom's summer fashion gazette. I told them I was invited to a party by a friend, which is the truth anyway.

"You dress nicely," Paul says, glancing at me through the front view mirror. "But you don't look like Angel Grant."

Rubbing my palms against the skirt of my carnation floral dress, I sit straight and take a glance of myself in the window to my left. Paul is right. I do not look like the Angel Grant I am supposed to be today. I don't have to pretend to be her again, I like to believe. I will come to that party as who I am, with no makeup and frivolous dress, but of course without forgetting the actress in me. Still, how different of a cloak will it be, I wonder.

Stone says I do not have to be so friendly or approachable. He says he'd do all the talking, and all I have to do is agree with whatever he says. Not much change from before, eh? Well, I don't expect the people to let me pass easily. I know there will always be curious people following me.

"Stone said today will be the last," I tell Paul. "And when he said that, I believe him."

Paul just shrugs his shoulders as though he is not interested in what I have just said.

"Where's Mr. Stone by the way?" I ask. Last night he told me he was going to be the one to pick me up.

Paul turns the stirring wheel to the left.

"He had to go to the venue early today. His family has already arrived," Paul replied. "Don't fret. They already like you."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Mr. Stone's father has always wanted his son to finally get serious with a woman. After he's known about you, he was so ecstatic that he wanted Mr. Stone to get married right away."

Ridiculous! Hunter Stone cannot marry me. I mean, he can marry Angel Grant in the person of another, but not me. He did not even mention this whole thing to me last night.

Paul must have seen how pale I turned. He stopped the car only to ask if I have motion sickness. When I have finally recovered, Paul continues driving.

"He's not going to marry me, is he?" my voice slightly quivers.

"I don't see you as the future Mrs. Stone," he directly replies. "I am already on the quest for finding a replacement, Ms. Mohr. After today, Angel Grant will forever be erased from the face of the planet. She'll be as good as dead."

I nod. Paul's words are the only thing that could calm my nerves right now.

I want to ask about what kind of a woman will take on my role, but my intuition is telling me to let go of my curiosity for it might send the wrong signals to Paul. He might think I am still interested in this twisted story.

"Will Mr. Stone really marry after you find a replacement?"

Paul nods. "He has to. He's left with no choice."

So Stone's going to marry for the sake of pleasing his father. He's dead set on doing his old man this favor. How unfortunate and tragic could that be? Marrying someone you barely know for the good of the family. I can never understand the inner workings of rich minds. How can others say they are the most fortunate people on earth when some of them cannot even get to choose who to love?

But I will never understand the sacrifice Hunter will partake in the future. When I marry, I'll marry for love.

Paul parks the car in front of Musgrove's. It's a famous resort on the outskirts of the city. They boast off their lounges, swimming pools, and man-made lakes. It's a very popular place for important events, but today might be the only time I'd ever get inside. In order for people to get in, they must become exclusive customers or get invited by the elites.