fifteen

KADE
**
***
*****

The colour in Emara's flushed appearance vanished with a pale complexion, her eyes wide as she stumbled back; I luckily caught her just as she began to lose her balance. Her mother's pale face watched her with a smile on her face. Her face was sunken in, her eyes carrying large eye bags under them and as my eyes moved down, I cringed; she was too thin to be healthy and there were scabs up and down her arms as she scratched them violently.

"Emmy," her mother gushed out, taking a step forward. Emara took one step closer to me, her body shaking. "You've grown so much from when I saw you at your college graduation. And you're a model now — and a fashion designer."

"W-What the hell are you doing here?" She stammered out, holding onto my forearm in a tight. "I told you that I didn't want to see you ever again."

"I just had to see you," Emara's mother said, her eyes watery. "You're beautiful. You look exactly like your father, you know that?"

"You are not allowed to speak about Dad after what you did to him — what you did to us!" Emara was still trembling as she shouted and I held her by the shoulders as she took a step forward. "Don't ever speak about him. He did nothing but love you and you took him and your marriage for granted!"

"I regret everything I've done so much, you know this, Emmy," Emara's mother said, tears now rolling down her cheeks. "I-I tried contacting him but he hasn't gotten back to me—"

"And you expect that one day he will!" Emara exclaimed, trying to shake out of my grip. "You disgust me! You used him for money for your disgusting addiction and had multiple affairs — and when he was across the world risking his life for his family and his country, you were beating your only child!"

My heart shattered. I pulled Emara back as she choked on her own words and tears, keeping her close to me while her mother stared at the wall behind us in horror.

I knew what happened to Emara in her past. I knew that she was afraid to be alone because even if she didn't admit it, she was terrified that her mother would get to her. Years of physical, mental and verbal abuse didn't just go away after a few lucky years in adulthood and I knew that seeing her mother brought her back down to the weakest point in her body.

It's been at least three years since Emara has seen her mother last and she was doing amazing. Why her mother was suddenly here was most likely because Emara was becoming recognized in the larger businesses of the fashion industry and she wanted the credit so she could get the money.

"Leave," I muttered, meeting her sunken eyes. "Now."

"And who the hell do you think you are?" She scoffed, crossing her arms.

"Someone who can easily have you escorted to the nearest police department for the use of illegal drugs and carrying illegal substances. And Lord fucking knows what else you'll get charged for."

I glanced down at her pockets and she quickly shoved her hands into them.

"Now, get the fuck away from this property," I snapped, watching her stumble back.

She glanced at her daughter before walking into the busy crowds of people, leaving it to be just me and Emara.

I picked Emara up and carried her back inside, not knowing what to do as her body continued to trembled from the memories of her past. I walked into the elevator and pressed the button to her floor, kissing her head.