Chp 22:

Tessa:

His phone begins to ring as he pulls it out of his pocket. "I need to take this." I nod as he swipes open his screen. "This is Piercy." I watched as he paced through the living room of the apartment, back and forth gracefully.

His phone secured in his right hand, as he rubbed his temple with his left.

"I am not going to be held responsible if that transaction doesn't go through, do you understand?" He says sounding angry and intense.

"Good." After a few minutes he leaves the living room and walks down to his office, out of sight and ear range.

I look down at my phone when I notice I have a text from Kirsten.

To: Me

From: Kirsten

Sent: Thurs, Mar 12th, 4:25 PM

MSG:

Hey I'm having some people over later tonight...do you think you could help me get the house ready?

Also mom says she has been trying to get a hold of you and you haven't been picking up, and she is considering sending a search party for you. Call the woman back for heaven's sake!"

I find myself rolling my eyes at her text as I begin to respond.

To: Kirsten

From: Me

Sent: Thurs, Mar 12th, 4:30 PM

MSG:

Kirsten...tell her that as much as I appreciate all of the effort and concern she puts herself through for me...a search party is most definitely not needed and yes I will stop by the apartment in about thirty minutes.

I say clicking the send button and shutting off my phone as I make my way towards my purse which is sitting on the kitchen island.

"Are you off to somewhere?" I spin around to face Nick who is sliding his phone into his pants pocket, I nod.

"Kirsten is asking for me to help her clean up the apartment, apparently she's having friends over." I say with a shrug.

"Why don't you come with me?" Nick raises a brow "Are you sure?" I nod.

I grab my purse and we leave; climbing on the elevator. As we hit the floor below us two blonde haired women in their early twenties get on, both glance at Nick and blush, one lets out a slight giggle and then looks at her shoes.

Nick grips my hand; we finally reach the lobby and leave, walking hand in hand.

We were half way to my old apartment when it dawns on me that Nick and I were spending our time...helping Kirsten get her place ready for her guests.

What was I thinking?

I stop suddenly and pull him to the side "What is it?"

"Kirsten can take care of things herself, besides she has a new roommate apparently. We haven't gotten to spend much time together, so let's go back. Please?" Nick stares at me confused.

"What?"

"Nick, for the last few weeks we have been so caught up with work that we haven't gotten the chance to just sit and spend time together-and I want that.

In fact that's all I want right now and I would rather spend the little time we currently have available; with you." I felt guilty. He stands and stares blankly at me. "I'm calling Kirsten and I'm telling her that we aren't coming."