Forgiveness

[Todd]

"Of course, you're also submerged in the voice of this world, like me, Todd. And I think maybe your connection with Viola lets you hear her-"

Ben's returned to the Pathway's End (How do I even know what this room is called?) with some food for me to eat, but I share the food with Viola because she looks rather skinny and I'm guessing it might have had to do with sitting in the same chair for a month (which makes me feel even worse for her).

"But does that mean other people won't be able to hear her?", I ask.

"Probably not," Ben shows knowledgeably, "You and me have submerged ourselves so deep with not only the Land but this world, Todd. But unlike the Mayor, we live in it, breathe in it, and I think this could be the future of all of us. To become one with the Land. I'm guessing the only reason women don't have Noise yet is because they haven't lived as long on this planet as the women of the Land have..."

Viola tries feeding me some dried mutton but I involuntary flinch away, face reddening.
She stifles a giggle, "Come on Todd, don't tell me this embarasses you."
"It's not that," I say, "just me being stupid.." and I do let her feed me even though Ben is watching but he doesn't judge and just smiles instead.

"Do you want to talk with the Sky after you're done-?"

"Of course he doesn't!" Viola snaps, "What would he have to say to him?"

"Viola," Ben shows kindly, "I know how you feel about this, but at least let him lift his burden. You of all people know how terrible it is to kill."

Viola just purses her lips in a non-approving way, "I don't care what he feels, he should've thought of that before shooting him..."

We finish eating and Ben calls us to leave the Pathway's End. We leave through the front drapes and just when I'm thinking about it the first thing I see is-

"Boy Colt!"

"Angharrad!", I shout, as she runs to me and nuzzles me with her usual fuggy horse breath. And I realise how I've forgotten all about her, and I realise how lonely she must have felt, losing apart of her herd for so long.

"I'm here, girl", I say as I rub her nose.
"She's been waiting outside here for you all this time as well, she wouldn't leave even when we untied her.", Ben shows, still smiling. "So, Todd, ready to meet everyone?"

I look at Viola and then at Ben and I think for a moment and I say-

"Yeah, but I want to meet someone else first", and I can see Viola wanting to protest as she sees who in my Noise but I just show back, "I have to, Viola."
She don't say nothin' but she unnerstands, and she lets me go.
Lets me go so I can see him.

[The Sky]

I will not lie to myself and say I am not greatly relieved.
Relieved to know that my mistake has not proven to be fatal.

I can see the Knife in the voice of the Source, his love, his relief, his pure fatherly care for the boy. For Todd.

And his feeling seeps into me, even from this distance, because when one of the Land celebrates, all of the Land celebrates.