Chapter 75

Rowan wasn't sure how long he had slept for, but the sun was starting to set when he woke. He rolled over in bed, expecting to bump into another warm body. Kaerius wasn't in his bed or his room.

Rowan looked around, dazed and puzzled. His door was open, and muffled voices travelled up the stairs from the kitchen. He stumbled out of bed, pulled on some black pyjama bottoms and left his room.

He felt Kaerius's presence as soon as he was in the hallway. Kaerius's broken English seemed to be the only voice Rowan wanted to hear. He tumbled down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Mandy, Michael, and Kaerius sat around the table, waiting for food.

"Rowan!" Kaerius said happily, smiling wide.

Rowan matched the size of his smile and bent down to kiss him. Kaerius pulled him into the chair next to him and curled an arm around his shoulders. "How long have you been awake?" Rowan asked.

"Hour. Maybe." Kaerius looked around Rowan's face, eyes glistening. "Hungry?"

Rowan nodded, and his gaze shifted to his mum. "Did you get back long after us?"

"Not too long after." Mandy glanced at Michael and pursed her lips.

"What happened?" Rowan asked.

"Well," Mandy whispered, leaning across the table when Michael pulled food from the oven, "the Thalassic Mortals weren't as kind as you were to the hunters."

Rowan looked at Kaerius who's hard stare revealed a lot. "Were dad's parents killed?"

Mandy nodded. "I think they deserved it, but your dad has barely spoken all day. I know a big part of him is relieved, but he's disappointed in himself for wanting to grieve them."

Michael returned to the table with cooked fish for Mandy and Kaerius, and stir-fry for himself and Rowan.

"Did you have a good sleep?" Michael asked, not daring to ask what they were talking about. He knew by their expressions. "Kaerius tells me that you talk a lot in your sleep."

Rowan's cheeks reddened. "I do?"

"Rowan talk to Kaerius. In sleep. Always," Kaerius chuckled.

"What do I say?"

"Nonsense."

"That sounds about right," Michael grinned. The smile felt foreign on his face.

"Hey!" Everyone laughed around the table and for the first time in a while, Rowan had nothing to worry about, until he remembered he had skipped a lot of university classes. Still, the pressure of studying was like a grain of sand and the hunters were the entire beach.

"So..." Rowan said after a while of watching everyone eat. "Is it all over, do you think?"

"With the hunters? For a while, at least. The werewolves have made peace with the ones who swam back to land. The hunters really thought they were going to die, and I guess that changes people," Mandy said, holding Michael's hand under the table.

"Yeah." Rowan wanted to rub the scar on his stomach, but he fiddled with the bracelet Kaerius gave him instead. "Have you heard from Braiken and Jack?"

"Yes. They found Wez's body."

Rowan's heart almost stopped. He forgot. "Did they take him to the sea?"

"Yes. Burial ground tomorrow," Kaerius said and encouraged Rowan to eat his food.

"And then back to normal life on Monday, right?"