18.

It had been four days since Amara had seen Prince Damien leave. She hadn't been able to focus on anything. The only time she forgot about him was when she was teaching the twins. The castle seemed gloomier without him. His presence gave life to the castle. More than anything, she wanted to stop feeling for the Prince. His absence seemed to made her feelings for him grow. 

She tried to remind herself that she had no right to feel such a way toward the Crown Prince. She tried to reason with herself. She had seen the crazy aristocratic females who had the hots for him. He was extremely popular among women. She was just herself. She had no lineage. She had nothing. The Prince deserved much more than she could ever offer. 

Despite all that, she was still worried about him. 

Worrying is natural, she told herself. She was sure everyone was worried about him. 

After dismissing the twins from their lessons, she walked out of the library. She was on her way to the room. Rowan was walking toward her with his footman guiding him. 

The footman smiled, 'Good evening, Lady Amara.' 

She smiled, 'Good evening.' 

The old man smiled, 'Amara! Just the person I wanted to talk to,' Rowan said. Amara gave him a confused smile, 'Me?' 

He dismissed the footman and held out his arm for her. She took it. She was nervous. What would a person of his status want from her? 

'Let's go to the garden, Amara,' he said. She complied. There was nothing in the garden. It was covered in snow. She didn't know why Rowan wanted to go there but she didn't protest. 'What is it that you want to talk about, Sir Rowan?'

'Tell me about your family, Amara,' He asked her. 

The question hit home. He doesn't know?! She couldn't. She believed that he was left in the dark. It would be stupid. She didn't want to believe that Rowan was a mean person. She tried to sound emotionless, 'I don't know about them.' 

'I am sorry, child. I didn't know,' He sounded genuine so she let it go. 

'Why the sudden interest in my lineage?'  

'It was just small talk, child.' 

She chuckled. 

They had already reached the garden. The maids had given them coats to wear before they were exposed to the cold. It was very cold. Amara could feel the cold and harsh wind brush against her cheeks. Why did winter have to be so cold? The white reminded her of a certain someone that she didn't want to think about. 

With one hand, she pulled her coat closer. 

'How are you, Amara?' Rowan asked. 

'I am good,' she smiled. 'What about you, Sir Rowan?' 

He chuckled, 'How I wish you weren't so formal with me, child. Think of me as a distant relative.' 

'You're the King's Advisor, sir.' 

'I am very well aware of that, Amara,' he smiled. She couldn't hide her smile either. But his smile was replaced by a serious expression, 'But tell me child, are you really alright? I heard what happened to you. I apologize for not checking up on you any sooner.' 

'But you did, sir. You asked me a couple of times when we ate,' she spoke. 

He furrowed his brows, 'That was too formal, dear. But are you really fine? It's a lot to process. I might not have my sight but I know you're distressed.' 

Amara tried to laugh it off but she couldn't. He was right. She was very tensed. The other Royals had done their best to explain it to her but she couldn't understand. She couldn't understand the feelings, the whole ordeal, how the entire situation had just shaken her. And then he came to check up on her and then he yelled at her and then walked away. What the hell was he doing to her?

'Amara, child, what's wrong?'

'Nothing, sir,' she whispered. 

'Tell me, child.' 

She paused. She drew in a deep breath. When she let out she saw the mist rise. She kept her eyes trained on it till it vanished. 'Sir Rowan, I feel..' she paused trying to decipher the mess of feelings inside her. '... sad.' 

'Sad?' 

That's what she felt. Sad. 

'Who would curse him?' She voiced her thought. 

'The Royal family has many enemies, Amara. We didn't know why he was cursed or who cursed him or what the curse is but we're still trying to get rid of it.' 

When the others had told her the same thing, she was surprised. She thought they didn't want to tell her real reason. But to find of it was the truth. It was shocking. 'It's true then? No one knows what the curse is?' 

'Damien knows but he would never tell.' 

She furrowed her brows. 'Why would he do that?' 

He gave her a humourless laugh, 'Lord knows what that boy thinks. Sometimes it is infuriating how stubborn that young man could be.' 

She was upset. 'He doesn't want to be helped?' She asked.  

Rowan shook his head, 'Lord knows, Amara. Only He knows.' 

She didn't like that answer at all. Suddenly, she wanted to know about Prince Damien's curse but she knew it was beyond her. He hadn't told any of his family members, why would he tell it to her. She was worried, again. She wanted to know if the Prince was alright. She prayed for his safe return.