˗ˋ 03

CHAPTER THREE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH A CRUP APPEARS

. . .

"So you're related to that Newt guy? The one that wrote Fantastic Beasts?" James asked, and Remus looked both horrified at his friend referring to the famous magizoologist as 'that Newt guy' and rather amazed that Nancy did seem to be related to him. 

"Newton Scamander is my grandfather, yes." Nancy nodded, sitting back in her seat, clearly relaxed. A distinct bang came from her suitcase, once and then twice. 

James, Sirius, Remus and Peter stared at the lone, slightly battered case that sat on the metal bars above their heads. Nancy didn't even glance up at her, her gaze still focused down. 

Another bang could be heard, and the group of four shifted their gaze down to the girl, who sighed and waved her hand up at the case. Not another bang was heard, and the boys glanced at each other.

"Any questions?" Nancy finally said, capturing the mystified looks that the four shared. "About my case, my grandfather, anything."

"So what could bite my hand off, huh?" Sirius finally said, his usual smirk appearing on his lips. "Don't suppose you were talking about yourself, you seem far too.. dignified."

"Oh you'd be surprised." Nancy replied, matching the smirk and Sirius seemed to look surprised for just a moment. "But in my case.. well I won't disclose the contents of my case, however certain things do have rather sharp teeth. Perhaps you've read about them in my grandfather's book, seeing as you all seem so well acquainted with it."

"Sorry darling, can't say I remember a single thing written in that book." The dark haired man continued. "Sirius." He held out his hand, realising that despite everyone knowing Nancy's name, she didn't know any of theirs. 

"Pleasure." Nancy replied, and although she didn't reach out to shake Sirius's hand herself, something did and he retracted at it, staring in horror. "And you three would be?"

"James Potter." The boy with glasses said, peering out of the window and into the aisle. "Don't trust Sirius."

"Noted." Nancy commented, at the same time that Sirius began to make noises out of protest.

"Remus Lupin, and that's Peter, he falls asleep rather easily." The tallest boy who was practically covered in scars said. Nancy couldn't help but wonder what they were from, because she was the same - however she knew for a fact that hers were from the variety of creatures that she had worked with over the years.

Beside Remus was Peter, an oddly mouse-like boy that had fallen asleep in the matter of since Nancy's case had interrupted their conversation. "He had a big breakfast." James said, as if that was explanation enough.

It seemingly was, and Nancy turned away from Peter, about to say something when yet another loud bang came from her case. "Oh for Merlin's sake." She said, taking a deep breath and getting up, pulling the case down from the rack. 

She laid it down on the floor, acutely aware of the eyes of the trio on her. "Swear you won't say anything about what comes out of this case? Last thing I need is Dumbledore on my case... literally.."

Nancy waited for each of the three boys to nod, none of them saying anything - and the Scamander girl already suspected that none of them were the most rule-abiding students. 

"Good." She mumbled, and just as she was about to open the case, a hand waved in the direction of the windows, the blinds falling back into the place they had been. She waved her hand once more, and a click could be heard from the door. James reached out and tried to open it but he couldn't - they were locked in.

"I didn't even know they had locks." Remus hissed, looking between the three of them, wondering just what sort of situation they had gotten into.

They turned their gazes to the witch who locked them in, who was crouched by her case. The Bowtruckle had crept up her neck and sat in her hair as she waited, a striking green against the blonde.

Another clicking sound could be heard as the case opened up, and the three boys jumped out of their skin, Peter snorting in his sleep as a sound of sudden barking could be heard.

"Muffliato." Nancy whispered, as the case opened fully and out came a dog-like creature, which bounded around the carriage like nobodies business, the three boys trying to back away and wincing when the dog bounced onto Peter's lap before jumping down on the floor and settling on Nancy's feet.

"That's Francis." Nancy smiled. "Sorry for all the nose, she was desperate to get out - she's a crup puppy."

"Godric I'm glad I'm not dorming with you." James blurted out, and Nancy flickered her hand at him, and James felt something hit him on the back of the head. "Oi!" He exclaimed, rubbing the spot. 

Nancy Scamander was clearly chaos, and as for Sirius, well it seemed that he had met his match - he did not want some invisible force hitting the back of his head. 

Although it was about time that some girl came along that could easily rival him. And despite his lack of enthusiasm towards invisible forces, Sirius was looking forward to it.