Chapter 31

"Ah," said the foreign 'reptile', its voice rasping. "So I finally get to acquaint myself with the infamous warriors of the galaxies." The Avengers watched the waking creature in disgust as it licked its rotten teeth and scaly lips with a lizard like tongue.

"Hold your tongue unless it is an answer to our inquiries," said Thor. "You have caused enough damage upon this innocent realm."

"Innocent. What an interesting interpretation," the creature mused.

"Why are you here? What is your business on this realm?" A hoarse laugh echoed somehow in the soundproof room. Bruce felt the Hulk trying to rise to protect him, to beat the creature into a pulp. He'd have to teach Hulk someday that hitting was not always the answer.

"I have heard many a tale and those ballads spun in your name, to praise your murderous acts. And yet you come to me to answer for the killing of a mere few pathetic mortals? You are as dim-witted and as brutal as the barfs have made you out to be."

"Let me know the name of the one that so easily disputes mine," said Thor. "Unless you insist on flyting one-sidedly."

"You may address me as Emrath, Asgardian," said the creature. "I look forward to this banter with the murderous god of thunder and his...mortal accomplices."

"Mortal accomplices or not, we still managed to kick your ass pretty good," Tony said, stepping forward. Emrath ignored him.

"Would you like me to tell you a tale golden prince?" Emrath asked, casually tilting its head to the side to face the Avengers, tone amused and playful. Thor glared at the creature, one hand gripping Mjonlir in an iron grip, the other curled into an angry fist. Natasha stood by his side, face a trained passive expression as always, but the tension in her figure gave her away. Clint stood beside her, and Tony and Steve just behind Thor, ready to restrain Thor should they need to.

"A tale?" Steve managed, voice unsure and defensive. Emrath nodded.

"A take of the young trickster, the royal imposter, the Jotun runt." He jeered. Thor scowled but nodded sharply.

"Then speak." He replied coldly. Emrath's snarl-like smile widened.

"He fell through space and time, and my master, my kind, merciful master took him and brought him to our home. We offered the runt power for the Tesseract. He refused. We tried to convince him, yet he still refused. Our master let us have our fun with him, but still the little Laufeyson refused the power he offered. Oh but how he cried for an end, how he cried for his brother, but you never came," Emrath's voice was teasingly distressed, a taunting imitation of Loki. "He wept and cried and beg but still he refused, and so our master let us be extra convincing with him, and there were no limits to the fun we had with the weakling -"

"You...you beat my brother?" Thor's voice rang out sharp, mortified expression stark on his paled face. His hands shook violently. Tony and Steve exchanged a warning glance before moving slightly closer. Emrath waggled a finger at him tutting cheerfully.

"Let me finish golden prince, you may comment at the end...now where was I...Oh, yes! Laufeyson was forced to swallow down the waste of its superiors," said Emrath. "It hung by its entrails from a spike above fire and melted like a mere object. It moaned and sniveled and whimpered for trivial comforts. And Lord Thanos, how unfortunate he was that he had to replace his love for Lady Death with something so disgusting and worthless, he took Laufeyson and consumed it, fucked it until it-"

Emrath was cut off again as Thor let out a roar of pure rage and struck at the terrible creature, too fast for the team still caught up in the shock of what they'd just heard. And suddenly Thor felt himself fight against hands trying to pull him back and pull him away because he must avenge his brother, he must, these monsters had impugned his honour and where was he when his brother needed him most where was he?