Chapter 32

"And one... and one... and one... and none..."

A cracked whisper came from the dark corner. The shadow in the far corner of the small, claustrophobic cage rocked back and forth on its heels. Its bloodshot eyes were wide with fear and panic, its ears ever alert for the footsteps it knew would come for it eventually. A puddle of blood slowly grew under it, and even more blood coated its body. Its black hair was a tangled, matted mess. Its skin was stretched alarmingly tight, with too many scars and wounds and welts. It cowered in the corner of the room like an animal, but this animal used to be a god.

What was his name? He couldn't remember. It started with an 'L', and the guards said it occasionally when taunting and jeering, but he couldn't focus long enough to remember. His thoughts were too scrambled, his heart racing too fast, his tongue speaking its own weird sentences. But there was one person he clearly remembered without having to think too hard. And that was Thor. The golden prince. He remembered seeing Thor's face fade away as he fell and fell as though he'd never stop.

Why did I fall?

He only remembered disappointment and hate and rage and sadness and pain. So much pain. And he still loved Thor. He wanted Thor to rescue him, because Thor wouldn't leave his brother like this, would he? Thor, who had always looked out for him. Thor, the sentimental fool. Thor, the young boy he had once frolicked through the gardens with.

He needed Thor.

"Thor..." He sobbed, clutching his head tightly and praying for the god to find him. "Thor..." He cried out again. "Help me..." He pleaded, tears running down his face. More and more and more tears. And the pain. Everything hurt. So bad was the pain that the only name he could remember was Thor's.

"So weak."

"The disgraced Prince of Asgard."

"Not even a prince, nor an Asgardian. A Jotun. "

"The so-called "prince" Loki."

Loki? His name was Loki?

"You still wish to defy us?"

Defy? Who would he defy?

"The runt has not answered. It seems we may have our fun with him once more."

Thor...

"You pray for rescue? From the golden prince? Why would he want you, why would he want to rescue a Frost Giant? The true prince of Asgard swims and bathes in a sea of Jotun blood, he would gladly add yours to it."

"He is celebrating now. Celebrating your so-believed death."

"You are a monster."

"He will never come for you."

And as he was dragged off, he knew without a doubt that he would long for something sweet as pain. He also knew Thor wouldn't find him. Because Thor didn't love him anymore. Because nobody loved him.

He was a monster. And no one loved a monster.

Such was the fate of the fallen.

***

Clint watched the sleeping form of the god of mischief, still just too sickly thin, occasional murmurs breaking the silence on the other side. He noticed how sometimes the god looked to almost be in pain, before his features re-arranged into something else that wasn't exactly restful ease.

"You're up early," a familiar voice said. Clint smiled slightly at the approaching figure of his closest friend.

"Could say the same for you," he replied. He could see the dark circles under her eyes which weren't there before, more emotion on the normally passive face.