chapter thirty four

I decided to properly introduce Silas and Aries to Mateo with the hope that this time it would go well. But as soon as I went back to the living room with Mateo on my tail, I could tell that it wasn't going to go as smoothly as I hoped. Aries' green eyes were darker than normal. I figured he probably heard Mateo's little stunt where he fake moaned for no good reason other than to be aggravating.

I figured I would just have to commandeer the situation. If I took control, it would go well. At least I hoped it would. I had confidence in myself...barely.

"Aries, Silas," I said, trying to pretend as though I wasn't feeling the pressure of their gazes, "this is Mateo, one of my best friends."

Mateo slung his arm over my shoulder, pulling me into his side. "Best friend. Ex-lover. Just a few of the titles I hold." They stared at him long and hard. An awkward silence fell over all of us. "Why do I always get a cold reception from the both of you? You can't be that mad that we had sex, can you?"

Oh, they could be plenty mad. That mad was written all over their faces. But what Mateo and I had in the past was never, ever romantic. They didn't have much to worry about. Or anything to worry about, for that matter. Mateo and I didn't want to be together romantically. If we did, we would've gotten together a long time ago. But they didn't seem to feel that way.

"No," Aries responded.

"No, what?" Mateo asked.

He simply shrugged. "Just no."

Mateo turned to Silas. "And you?"

Silas pursed his lips before answering, "Yes."

"Yes, what?"

"Just yes."

I groaned. "You two are impossible," I scoffed. "Can we all just openly talk about it? What is the problem?"

"The problem is," Aries' voice cut through, "him. He's too friendly with you. We get it. You fucked. So why do we have to constantly be reminded of it?"

I frowned. "He's my friend. What does too friendly even mean?"

"No respect," Silas muttered.

Mateo scoffed. "I respect you. I'm just not a serious person. Nat is my baby. You can't expect me to change the way I am with her. I've known her for years. You've only known her for a couple of months." He crossed his arms over his chest. He meant business. I had never seen him so serious.

"Natalia," Aries muttered, "is mine." He growled the words inhumanly, which caused a sinking feeling in my stomach.

"Sheesh, Nat. You really attract the barbaric type, don't you?" Mateo murmured.

I swallowed, talking a bold step in the middle. I shouldn't have gotten within arms reach of them, knowing they could easily grab me and assert their dominance in front of Mateo by fucking me. But I wasn't playing around. I wouldn't so easily give in. I couldn't. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You two have to start being nicer to him. Mateo is one of my best friends. I won't take this bullshit anymore."

"And what are you going to do?" Aries asked, testing me with a harsh gaze.

I turned to him, a cold look on my face. "You love me?" I asked. I could see that his arrogant demeanor dropped quickly. He nodded once, a solemn look on his face when he could tell just how serious I was. "Then you'll at least try instead of proving a point."