xi. LIKE FRIENDS DO, RIGHT?

LIKE FRIENDS DO, RIGHT?(dig dug part 1)

(dig dug part 1)

After Hopper left, Ben had gone to Joyce's room to try and take a nap, his lack of sleep starting to get to him. Ben eventually fell asleep for a few hours, not knowing that Mike had arrived. After Mike talked to Will, he went to Joyce's room where he found Ben sleeping not-so-peacefully. Ben was tossing and turning and drenched in cold sweat, quiet whimpers leaving his mouth. It was clear the boy was having a nightmare. Mike sat on the side of the bed closest to Ben and shook his shoulders gently, trying to wake him up.

A gasp left Ben's mouth as he woke up, he sat up and searched the room frantically. Mike wrapped an arm around him and tried to comfort the scared boy, running a hand through his damp hair and rocking him back and forth. "Shh, Ben. It's just me. It's Mike. You're safe." Mike whispered softly in Ben's ear, causing him to eventually calm down and melt into Mike's touch. Ben looked up at Mike, "When'd you get here?" he asked quietly. Mike ran his hand up and down Ben's arm as a way to comfort him. "A while ago, I was talking to Will for a bit and wanted to come see you." Mike said. Ben nodded and leaned into Mike a little more.

"I'm sorry." Ben mumbled against Mike's shoulder. Mike's eyebrows furrowed as he looked down at Ben, "Why are you sorry?" Ben shrugged then placed his hand on Mike's knee, he started drawing random shapes on his knee with his finger. Mike tried to ignore the way his heart sped up and how Ben's touch burned his skin, in a good way. "I'm just sorry you had to deal with me having a nightmare." Ben said, his cheek squished against Mike's shoulder as he tapped his finger lightly on his knee. Mike continued to run his hand up and down Ben's arm, "You don't have to be sorry for that. It's normal to have nightmares."

The two were quiet for a moment, just enjoying each others comfort. "How often do you have them?" Mike asked, to which Ben hummed in confusion. "The nightmares?" The raven-haired boy clarified. Ben stopped tapping Mike's knee, just rubbing it with his thumb. "This is the first one I've had in a while."

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Not really." Ben admitted, almost forgetting that the EMT had told him he should talk to someone about what happened. Ben just didn't feel like he could now. Mike nodded, "That's okay. You don't have to, but I'm here to listen, just so you know." Mike reassured the boy, Ben looked up at Mike and smiled a tiny smile, "Thanks. I'll tell you eventually, it's just too soon now, I guess." Ben said, still looking at Mike. "Whenever you're ready." Mike said, pushing Ben's hair back.

The two sat in a comfortable silence, just holding each other. Like friends do, right? Mike tapped Ben's shoulder, "I'm gonna sleep in Will's room tonight, to make sure he's okay. You okay to sleep in here alone?" he asked. Ben tensed up, not liking the idea of being alone. Ben shook his head, "Can I sleep in there with you guys? I don't wanna be alone..." Ben mumbled, embarrassed. Mike only smiled and nodded, "Of course. C'mon." The raven-haired boy untangled himself from Ben, who almost let out a whine at the loss of comfort and warmth, but he got up and followed him.

A bed was already made on the ground and the two got situated, it wasn't very comfortable, but it was alright. Ben and Mike were laying on their sides facing each other. It was dark, so they couldn't really see each other. Their hands were resting in front of their faces, Ben wanted to reach out and intertwine their fingers together. He also wanted to lean over and plant his lips on Mike's, but he knew that he definitely should not do that.

"You awake?" Mike whispered to Ben. Ben nodded, "Yeah. I can't sleep." He whispered back. Mike nodded, and Ben heard some movements, then noticed Mike had shuffled closer. Ben tried not to pay attention to the small distance between them, he could feel Mike's breath hitting his cheek. Ben suddenly felt bold, reaching his hand over and grabbing Mike's, intertwining their fingers together. Mike's cheeks burned, and he was glad it was dark so that Ben couldn't see. Mike squeezed Ben's hand, to which Ben smiled and squeezed back, feeling more at ease and comfortable.

Then, Ben felt lips on the back of his hand, Mike leaving a small, sweet kiss there. Ben was at a loss for words, not knowing how to respond or what to do. Suddenly, Mike flipped over so his back was to Ben, but their hands were still intertwined together, the movement causing Ben to scoot closer to Mike, his front almost touching his back. Ben wanted to close the distance, he wanted to pull Mike closer and hold him.

And so, he did just that. He pulled Mike closer so they were spooning, while still holding his hand, and they stayed like that all night. The two crushing boys slept with smiles on their faces.

It was that night Ben realized he was falling hard, and he didn't know if Mike would catch him.

JAY SPEAKS!
this is the softest shit i've ever written in my life.
here have another chapter bc im just sooo nice
this is a filler sorry its short 😔🤞