Chapter Twenty-Seven

THOR LISTENED TO THE GROUP BICKERING IN NOVA'S KITCHEN. They attempted to keep their voices low but continued to look in Nova's direction. Thor kept the girl occupied, sitting on the couch next to her laying form. He wrapped blankets gently around her body as she shivered against her damp hair. He held her legs on his lap skimming his hands over her knees.

May came into view as she set a cup of tea onto a coaster in front of Nova Lee. Her friends eyes held an appointed look from her spot on the floor beside the couch. She grasped her hand as if she was planning on leaving again.

"I'm here when you're ready to talk," She whispered as she gave a look to Thor.

"I'm also curious to see what you have to say SuperNov."

The freckled woman crinkled her nose in disgust at Tony's nickname as they joined the rest in the living room.

"There's nothing to tell you," she muttered beginning to sit up as Thor quickly placed a hand on the small of her back.

"I met some guy at a bar, turns out it was Loki. He sent another guy after me which caused me to avoid hitting him and instead flipping my car. So it wasn't exactly Loki's fault, and well- I may have been a little tipsy."

Steve Rogers held a concerned look, "What the hell were you doing in Grapevine so late at night?"

Nova sighed wanting to avoid the memory of her fathers face behind the glass. If she could only keep him locked away in her mind, maybe she would never have to think about it again. But she decided to dig up what was once buried and she knew it would not be erased so easily.

"I was just looking for someone," She whispered as May gently rubbed her arm.

"Anyway, Loki assured me he wasn't planning on killing me, in-fact he gave the man orders to get me to him completely unharmed."

"What kinda psycho kidnaps a girl just to give people a jump scare? I mean come on, he's got to have a reason," Natasha thought out loud as she rubbed her hands against the coffee mug.

"It's all apart of his game to torment Thor," Rogers said sitting on the arm of a love seat.

Nova kept quiet, deep in thought. She was the only one who really knew what happened in that dome. She knew that Loki's taunts and threats were just for show. Although he did play his games, and was a man of mischief, he was humane. He envied his brother and just wished to be known like Thor was. As a hero. But instead he was always made out to be the villain.

"How do we know you guys are even safe out here?"

"My brother is locked away, I assure you he will not harm her again."

"Clearly he doesn't want to stay in prison considering he broke out the last time?"

"Well this time Asgard's defenses will be stronger."

"Asgard my ass, if he wants to get to Nova again I don't think a little cage will stop him."

"It's my fault I didn't go with her to Grapevine, this would've never happened if I were with her."

"Don't sweat it blondie, I doubt a 5'3 girl would stand in his way."

"This would've never happened at all if you didn't send her away Stark."

"I agree with the Captain, the girl is safer with us."

Nova Lee stood abruptly growing annoyed with the groups arguing.

"Would you all just shut up!?" Nova yelled before limping slightly out the room.

May sighed at her friends outburst as Tony ran a hand through his hair. He felt guiltily for letting her leave that night. Stark wasn't aware of the dangers that would be after her.

"Way to go geniuses, ya pissed her off," Nat said with a smirk remembering the last time she grew angered during training.

"I better go apologize," Steve muttered respectfully as he took the path Nova left from.

He knocked gently on her door waiting for her to yell at him to go away. But instead he heard her tell him to come in. When he opened the door he found her sitting criss crossed on her bed with her head in her palms.

"Hey," Steve said gently, standing awkwardly at the door.

Nova raised an eyebrow as if she were expecting him to continue.

"I'm really sorry for all that, we are just worried about you ya know? We have all grown closer to you since your stay at Starks place and we just want you safe. I know Tony doesn't wanna admit it but he feels badly for sending you away."

Nova finally let out a sigh letting her feet dangle from her bed.

"Steve," she said looking softly at his concerned eyes, "Tony didn't send me away. In fact, he was encouraging me to stay. I left on my own, I wasn't gonna tell anyone but he caught me leaving that night. I didn't wanna make anyone feel bad so he told me he would take the blame."

Nova's head hung low as she waited for Steve to respond. He walked up to her slowly sitting a safe distance away from her on the bed. His comforting hand met her shoulder in a friendly manner.

"It's alright Nova, we didn't expect ya to want to stay forever. I just wish you would've told us."

When Rogers hand left her shoulder she smiled up softly at him.

"Please just don't tell Thor, I don't want him to blame himself for me leaving."

Steve nodded slowly as he stood from his spot on the bed making his way back over to the doorway.

"You have my word," he paused letting a smile leave his lips, "The god was pretty beat up about you leaving. Almost like he has taken a liking on you."

The Avenger winked at Nova before she blushed nervously at his words.

"Thank you Steve."

When he shut the door she begin to think about what she would say to the God. Could she possibly explain herself? Tell him that she ran away from him because she was scared of even liking him the slightest? How could she feel a connection to a God? Her nerves caused her to bite her lip as she wondered what the mark of thunder really meant. Was the scar a blessing or a curse?