Mistakes

Katherine had become very quiet and more observant, it was as if she had had the life sucked out of her. Her friends were worried sick and Tom had become more cruel to everyone around him.

They sat in potions class with their usual partners.
Tom was doing all the work as Katherine sat quietly at a good distance from him.

"Katherine could you pass the-" Tom began but stopped when he noticed that she was staring at particularly nothing out the window. He grabbed the ingredient himself.

Black and Lestrange whispered to each other, loud enough for Tom and Katherine to hear.

"Do you think she's alright?" Black asked.

"Does she look alright to you? It's looks like she has the life drained out of her." Lestrange replied.

"Should we talk to her?"Black suggested.

"No he won't allow us, besides, seeing her like this is torture for him too"Lestrange finished.

Tom shot them a look and reached into his pocket for his wand, Black and Lestrange has fearful looks on their faces.

Katherine watched this happen, how had she not noticed before. So blinded by a love that might not have even existed, she didn't notice how much her friends were struggling.

Katherine stood up from her seat which caused all attention to transfer to her. "Professor, may I be excused?"

Slughorn could never deny a request from his star student "of course."

Katherine quickly left the classroom, not even bothering to pack up her things.

"Professor, may I also be excused? You see, Katherine hasn't been feeling well lately and I'm afraid that something is wrong." Ophelia said.

"Yes of course" Slughorn said immediately with a worried expression.

Ophelia practically jogged out of the classroom to find Katherine. She ran into the common room and up to the girls dormitories where she found Katherine lightly sobbing.

"Katherine, what's wrong." Ophelia asked, taking a seat beside her on the bed.

Katherine threw her arms around Ophelia "everything." She sobbed.

"Please tell me." Ophelia said as she comforted her.

"You have to promise not to tell anyone."

"I promise" Ophelia replied.

"I think Tom's been lying to me this whole time, I think he's been lying about everything. I can't talk to anyone because they're all in Tom's death eater group, I think you're the only one." Katherine said and pulled out of the hug. As she did, she accidentally pushed Ophelia's sleeve up revealing the death eater mark.

Ophelia saw what Katherine was looking at and immediately pulled her sleeve back down.

Katherine stood up and moved away from Ophelia with tears forming in her eyes "How could you!"

"Katherine please, I'm still your friend." Ophelia said.

"No, no you're not." She said and ran out the dormitory door.

Ophelia tried to follow her but ended up losing her. She began to panic, classes had been dismissed and students were piling in into the hallways, making it impossible to find Katherine.

"Where is she?" Asked a deadly voice behind her.

Ophelia turned around to come face to face with an angered Tom. "I don't know, I lost her."