Chapter Twenty Nine

I pace the floor in front of the doors to the garden. I occasionally glance out to see if Flynn's silhouette has appeared. Unfortunately, the only things I see are the occasional shift of guards or a bird flying by. My mother stops me and puts her arm around my shoulder.

"Celia, calm down. He'll be back. The guards will find him," my mother says. I shake my head and take a seat on the bench. I watch as my father runs his fingers through his hair across the hallway.

"I can't. It's my fault he is missing. If that stupid snake hadn't scared my horse I never would have gotten separated from the group," I say.

"It's not your fault, honey. They were just worried about you," she says. I nod and pull my knees up to my chest. She lets it slide because of the events of the day.

"I can't believe they actually did it. They were all instructed to stay in their rooms," my father spits. He rises from his spot on the bench. The anger in his voice surprises me as it travels through the almost silent hallway.

"Maxon, honey, you know they were just worried about Celia. You were, too. You had to restrain yourself from going after her," my mother says. I watch in silence.

"That's different. I'm her father, America, not some love struck boy who thinks he is in love," my father says. My mother stands up and put her arms around his waist.

"When I got lost during The Selection who wanted to come after me? If I'm think correctly it was you," she says.

"America, that was different," he says. I ease back on the bench, not sure if I should be here or not.

"And how so?" my mother asks. She raises her eyebrows and stares at him. He bites his lip as he waits for an answer.

"Because I was truly in love with you. And it's our daughter. Can't I just say that I don't want some guy to rush off and be her knight in shining armor?" my father asks. I glance between them nervously and then back through the window that shows the same thing as usual.

"Aww, is someone jealous?" my mother asks. She has an amused smile on her face.

"I'm not jealous of a bunch of twenty year olds. I just don't want my little girl growing up," he admits. I feel a blush on my cheek.

"Aww, that is very sweet" my mother says. She rises on her tiptoes to kiss him. I fake cough and they look over at me.

"Um, hi," I say. They both laugh and separate. They sit on opposite sides of me and we wait for Flynn to return together.
So, how much do you hate me? On a scale of 1 to 10 I get the feeling it is going to be a lot higher than 10. Please comment and tell me ideas! I would love to add them in with the ideas I have for the story.

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.