xii. BOB THE BRAIN

BOB THE BRAIN!(dig dug part 2)

BOB THE BRAIN!
(dig dug part 2)

Ben woke up with a smile on his face, seeing Mike still sleeping. At some point during the night Mike had flipped over so that his face was buried in Ben's chest. Ben used his pointer finger to draw shapes on Mike's back, being gentle so he wouldn't wake him up. Eventually though, Mike did wake up, rubbing his eyes and yawning. Mike smiled at Ben, "Morning," he mumbled tiredly, "Did you sleep well?"

Ben nodded and smiled back, "Best sleep I've had in weeks, actually." Mike blushed at that, hiding his face against the pillow he was laying on to hide it. Ben chuckled and stared at Mike, watching him shake his head and finally look back at Ben. They kept eye contact for a few moments, then the two involuntarily started to lean in. Ben's heart was racing. Am I really about to have my first kiss? With a boy?

Ben's thoughts started to disappear the closer their lips got, but the sound of Will gasping loudly and sitting up in his bed made the two boys quickly move away from each other, leaving as much room as they could between them, both of them blushing profusely and avoiding eye contact with each other.

Mike broke the silence, his voice cracking slightly, "Will, what's wrong?" Mike asked. Ben stood up and wiped his sweaty hands on his pants. "I gotta, uh, change the um bandages..." Ben mumbled awkwardly, gesturing to the bandage on his arm. Technically, he didn't have to change it until noon, but he was too embarrassed to be in the room with Mike after what had almost happened. Ben didn't wait for either of them to respond, he just limped out and hurried to the bathroom.

Ben closed the bathroom door and locked it, leaning against it and breathing heavily. He couldn't believe he almost kissed Mike. It was going to ruin their whole friendship, which had barely even started. Ben felt like crying, he felt like such an idiot. He felt like such an idiot for liking Mike, he knew Mike wouldn't ever feel that way about him. He knew Mike wouldn't even want to be his friend anymore if Mike knew he was gay.

Holy shit, Ben thought, I'm gay. It was the first time Ben had actually said it, well, in his head. Sure, he'd been questioning it, but he never admitted to it. Ben's breathing started to get heavier, I can't be gay, Ben thought, Fuck, why can't I be normal? Shit, if my dad knew I was gay he'd probably disown me. I can never tell him. I can never tell anyone.

Ben didn't realize he was crying until he looked in the mirror and saw the tears rolling down his cheeks. Great, you're a queer and a crybaby? Pathetic. Ben shook his head to get rid of the thoughts, sniffling as he turned on the sink and started splashing water in his face. There was a knock at the bathroom door, "Ben, honey, you okay? You've been in there awhile. Do you need help with your bandages?" It was Joyce. Have I really been in here that long?