XIII

"Peter was not quite like other boys; but he was afraid at last. A tremour ran through him, like a shudder passing over the sea; but on the sea one shudder follows another till there are hundreds of them, and Peter felt just the one. Next moment he was standing erect on the rock again, with that smile on his face and a drum beating within him. It was saying, "To die will be an awfully big adventure." J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan 

----

XIII.

It seemed that fear was becoming second nature to Tom, and he did not enjoy the feeling whatsoever. Fear, perhaps, was too light a word. Absolute terror, instead, was what could describe what was happening inside his head as his eyes darted between Eliza and the approaching pirate ship.

Pirates were a dangerous hazard that all sailors had to be prepared for. Pirates often targeted ships like Tom's. Trade ships that carried goods and were light on ammunition.

Tom's goal whenever they were boarded by pirates was to preserve life. Be amenable and fair, and all could live to go their separate ways. The pirates were after things of value, goods they could hawk and indulge in.

Tom always carried a supply that could be surrendered should they be boarded, which would not interfere with his main supply. What worried him was that the pirates were intercepting them on the way to Jamaica. They did not have the usual supply that they could readily surrender, and that could result in a conflict.

Pirates did not care about preserving life as Tom did.

Tom would surrender what he could, and they would travel for the next few weeks on a less varied diet. Better a boring menu than a slit throat.

Tom knew the ship that was approaching, and it was because of this ship that he did not fly British colours. He was boarded by these pirates at least once a year, and he had managed to keep it peaceful. He prayed to God that it would remain that way.

There were some things, though, that pirates did not ask for. There were some things that they would take, and use, and destroy for their own pleasure, without a second thought.

And he was watching her descend the rope net at an alarmingly slow pace. Tom's heart was racing. He could see that Eliza was scared, she was frightened of falling, and so she was taking one step at a time very carefully.

If those men, those dastardly evil brutes saw her, then they would not leave without her. Tom would not allow that to happen. Over his dead body would they take a woman from his ship.

"ELIZA, MOVE!" Tom yelled up at her, but he knew that shouting at her would not help the situation. "I take my eye off of her for one second," he hissed under his breath.

Tom turned to Jackie, who was commanding the men, getting them on their ship's guns just in case.

"Bring up eighty percent of the tea and sugar," he commanded, "and all but one barrel of rum. We will resupply in Kingston."

Eliza was not moving quick enough and Tom could see Zacky above her in the crow's nest urging her to go faster. If they survived this, Zacky would suffer much more than a broken nose. How dare he take Eliza anywhere!

Tom needed to think fast. He needed to get Eliza down and hide her before they were boarded.

"Fast approaching, sir!" called out Cian from the helm, telescope in hand.

Tom seized hold of one of the rope and pulley systems that was attached to the mast. Choosing one that would do the least damage, he took his sabre from his hip and swung it into the rope, severing it and denting the mast. Tom was immediately lifted into the air and taken up to the crow's nest, where Zacky was standing looking quite intimidated.