44 | Promises, Promises

In the middle of the night, I crawled out of bed. I was back in my old room, and sleeping alone is not going great for me. I was going to talk to Bryce, but it seems like he wanted to meet me too because when I opened my door, I saw him just arriving in my doorway.

I cross my arms across my chest, frowning at him as i moved aside to let him in. He enters my room, giving me a kiss on the cheek but I don't dare smile or anything. I was angry with him.

"I know you're upset, " He started off.

I looked at him, like what?

"I'm not upset, Bryce. I'm furious." I said, poking him in the chest.

"Look baby," He grabbed my hand, saying, "I know you're not happy about Alyssa being back here and all."

"Of course I'm not. Bryce, I'm your fiancee now. And she's back here. Where does that leave me?" I asked him sadly. "Where do I stand?"

"You will always be the woman I love, Maria." He cups my face.

"No, you can't say that. I can't watch you be with her again." I start to tear up. "Why can't you just tell her the truth? Just divorce her, Bryce. So we can be together."

"I can't, " Bryce shook his head. I can see the pain in his eyes.

But I was selfish. I want him to choose me over that weakling.

"Why not?" I ask angrily,  moving away from him.

"Baby, just please..." He tried to calm me but I just kept pushing him away. He sighs, sitting down on the edge of my bed. "This house doesn't belong to me. And with the amount left in the bank and my company going bankrupt...how am I suppose to take care of you and our baby?"

I shut my mouth, processing what he had said. Sighing, I sit down beside him, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I didn't think of that...I'm sorry, " I apologised, reaching to hold his hand. Instead, he squeezes mine. "But, we can always start over. Let's leave this place and start new with our baby on the way."

Bryce gets up, hands on his face, he looks distraught. "I can't just do that, Maria. The Hemsworth name...what about my family? We have to think clearly, baby."

"If you love me, why can't you just choose me?" I asked, deeply hurt.

"Maria, please...I just want what's best for you and our baby. I don't want you to get hurt." He tells me, coming back to sit down as he grabbed my hands in his. He looked me in the eyes, saying, "Alyssa and I will be together like nothing ever happened. With her memories being a mess right now, it should be easy. We will be together. She will help me bring the company back up and running. And when we have money, I promise I will divorce her."

"You're saying I have to...wait...for you?" I said, thinking about how absurd his idea is.

"Look, i just need you to trust me." He looked at me with hope. I sigh, but nod at him. I love him and if having to wait and watch him be with Alyssa for awhile means getting my happy ending, then fine! Ill wait.

"I promise, we will be together." Bryce promised, kissing me on the lips. "I have to go. I love you, Ruby. "

                 NICO

         I arrive at the Hemsworth mansion with a bouquet of flowers for my dear sister. She was sitting, watching TV in the living room when I found her. She smiles brightly at me, her wound healing, looking better than the last time I saw her.