Chapter 3: Start Of Something New

Chapter 3
Noah Gerald Sky
Start Of Something New

          For some reason, I got hurt when I saw Gloss' expression when he was slapped by Genny, his mother. He was hurt. I felt the pain. My heart clenched at the sight of him crying. Nobody said anything for awhile. Dad stood up, walking towards Genny as she cried.

          "Oh, God." She said as tears poured out of her eyes. "How could I do that? More so, how could I forget?"

          "Shh, darling." Dad soothed, comforting Genny. Genny just cried, clutching Dad's arm, as if her life depended on it. Her whole body was shaking. Truth be told, I was not feeling any sympathy for Genny, maybe a little, but it was mainly for Gloss. What happened that day? What happened on September 3? According to Gloss, September 3 is his Dad's death anniversary. At the same time, it's his father and mother's wedding anniversary. But something else happened on that day. It seems it's a very important day to Gloss. "What's with September 3? I know, I heard from Gloss, that it's your late husband's death anniversary. But it is also your and your late husband's wedding anniversary. There's more to it, right, love?"

          Genny sniffed and wiped her tears using the back of her hand. She nodded. "September 3, 2008 is the date when Kerick died. We were on the trip, with Gloss. We were laughing, smiling, having fun. That day was also our family bonding, it was Sunday. And Sunday is always a family day to us." She said, tears starting to pour out of her eyes again. I listened to the conversation, wanting to know more. It interests me all of a sudden. Gloss, I've known him just a year ago. We live in the same house. But I really don't know him. I don't know his favorites, his likes and dislikes. I just know him by his name. Gloss Kaiser Schlund. Now, I want to know him. The real him. The truth behind his past. In a year, I've been a complete asshole to him. In a year, I've tried to get him out of our house, to my life. In a year, I've tried pushing him away from his mother, from Dad, from me. "Gloss was daring us to kiss. So Kerick leaned down and did the dare. He was supposed to pay attention to the road... but he wasn't. The car crashed. Gloss and I were the only survivors. Kerick died. We were..." She cried even more.

          "Shh, love." Dad said, rocking Genny back and forth. "You don't have to continue if you don't want. Tomorrow, we'll talk to Gloss. Okay?" Genny just shook her head.

          "Gloss. When we were brought to the hospital. Gloss had a lot of injuries. He wasn't buckled up that day. He... When we were admitted, when we got home, he became different. He was always happy, bubbly, caring. But he changed. Every night, he will have a nightmare about it. I've tried to put him in a psychological test, I've tried to talk to him about it, but he always tries to push me away. He doesn't want to talk about it. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it."

          So that's the problem.

          Dad's eyes were wide, like he couldn't believe it himself. How someone like Gloss can ignore that tragedy? Gloss. He always masks his feelings so people won't see it, so people won't feel it. Even I admit that I didn't feel and see it. Genny's body was still tensed, shaking. Visualizing the worst event can mentally hurt you, even remembering it. Visualizing is worst than remembering.

          I had decided that I wouldn't go to the party, so pretty much, I knew that people at the party would be shocked and disappointed. I was always present at the parties. Until now. And the reason for it is because of Gloss. I knew Chelsie would be mad at me, but I didn't give a damn right now. I love her to death, but sometimes, she can be annoying as hell. And I hate annoying bastards.

          Heading upstairs, to my room, every step was making my feet numb, caused by the burning chest filled with sympathy towards Gloss. It's an unusual feeling for me. I rarely have sympathy towards others. But somehow, somewhat, Gloss is the first.