viii. Not the Chosen One

eight not the chosen one

       IT'S THE TUESDAY AFTER the Marxist society meeting when Mia walks out of the Hufflepuff common room, a yellow scarf covering the lower half of her face, and sees the latest addition the educational decrees Umbridge is setting. This time, apparently, she's banning clubs — or, at least, this is what the letter says, surrounded by the ugliest frame imaginable. Mia doesn't like her dad's relatives, sure, but at least she can appreciate they understood a little thing called interior design. Frames should not be the same brick-brown as a castle wall. It's just gross. First she makes a stupid rule, and then she makes the announcement of it ugly? Moronic.

       Mia frowns up at the decree. A number of students are looking at it, too, and wondering what's going to happen to the Quidditch teams, the different clubs. Some first year asks his friend what's going to happen to the chess club. Mia's lips twist; she has to take a step back, though, her irritation covering the frame's glass with frost.

       Maybe I can, like, conjure up an icicle and blind Umbridge, the next time she passes one of these things, she thinks.

       "You look cheery as ever, Black." George's voice rings through her ears, and she lets out a sigh. The frost warms. "Don't tell me... You're secretly in the Gobstones club."

       "Not since ninety-two," says Mia, shaking her head. "Almost killed a seventh year." With this she starts to walk away, hoping she can find Archie and have breakfast with him.

       "You were in—?"

        "I was," says Mia, and she stops walking. Her thought is, if she has the conversation here, in the hallway, it will end here, in the hallway. So she won't have to suffer through another meal with a Weasley. "Got kicked out, though, when my emotions got the best of me and they all freaked. Mass murderer's daughter, and all." She rolls her eyes. It is nice, being able to talk to people that know her dad's innocent. "But anyway. Clubs are banned. Bummer. No viva la revolution for us."