20. Third Base

Mature Content 

 The next few days, Joey avoided me

 The next few days, Joey avoided me. I don't know if he's embarrassed he actually opened up to someone, or me rejecting him, again. Trust me, it hurt. It hurt because now I know what he's dealing with, and I want to help him. It saddens me to see that he doesn't think anyone is capable of loving him or vice versa. I lived my entire life thinking no one would love me, but one person changed that. And that was Samantha.

I wanted nothing but to wrap Joey in my arms and take the pain away, but I couldn't.

"Riles, Cameron, and I are having a date night tonight," Sam said.

Dylan interjected. "I have a, uh . . . date myself." He dragged his words, feeling proud of himself.

I chuckled. "No way? A date? Like an actual date?"

Sam laughed. "I would love to hear the answer to that question." Cameron agreed.

"Damn, is it that hard to believe?" Dylan asked.

"Yes!" we all said in sync.

Which leaves Joey and I . . . great.

"You're welcome to invite Chris over? I'm sure Joey will either leave or invite someone over for himself." I did not want to do that. I'll end up staying in my room since he's on his period.

I avoided glancing at Joey.

"Maybe," he said, his voice giving me unwanted chills.

I sighed. "I'm just going to watch movies and do what I do best: nothing."

Sam and Cam seemed happy to be going out again. I wonder where they were headed this time, but he said it was a surprise: men and their surprises.

Sam looked in my direction. "Ry, would you help me get ready?"

Dylan joked, playfully tapping his brother. "Joey, will you help me get ready?" He imitated his sister's voice, and she punched him softly in the chest.

The tension grew in the house with Joey and me not speaking. I thought about texting him, but he could need space. He doesn't seem like the type to open up to anyone, but he did to me. "Of course I will, Sam," I said.

"Hey, I need help getting ready too," Cameron added.

We laughed and headed into the living room to watch movies and sleep. Well, I slept.

~~

"What about blue? I think pink makes me look pale?" Sam tried on a few outfits for her date. I personally think she looks fantastic in anything she wears, but she disagrees. She's so picky, but there's nothing wrong with that.

"The blue looks great too, but what about . . ." I grabbed a symmetrical black dress that cut deep in the front with a high slit. I told her to pair it with her diamond necklace and earrings with her hair up, and she loved it.