Chapter 9: Late!

The girl sat down at the table with Yamato and his family. It was a traditional table and she was to sit on a pillow on her knees while eating. The dogs sat by Yamato not really at the table but more on the ground than anything else. Masaru preferred to sit next to the girl, gnawing on a treat-filled bone. There were multiple courses served, many luxuries and traditional foods being served. Yamato's diet consisted of mainly rice and meat while the girl ate more balanced.

"Are you enjoying dinner, (Y/n)?" the boy's father inquired, taking a bite of tempura shrimp.

"It's delicious," she answered, "Thank you for going through all this trouble.

"Not at all," he responded, "How have you been getting along with Yamato?"

When his name was spoken, the male began to cough, choking on a piece of his yakitori and beating on his chest to get it dislodged. He then began to eat his rice as if nothing had happened, listening to the conversation progress.

"I believe so?" the girl questioned, "I'm not sure if he likes me, but I think he's pretty interesting. We have a lot in common, too."

The boy silently cheered inside, keeping a straight face. Or at least he thought. He actually had a scowl plastered across his features, trying to make up for if he had accidentally had a smile. Masaru tilted his head, sitting on her lap and resuming his dinner, hoping to get some pets along the way.

"Yamato?" his mother asked, "What do you think?"

"She's a pain," he sighed, peeking at (Y/n)'s reaction.

She only chuckled, making him feel joyful inside. Then he began to eat his yakitori again, one of his dogs begging for a taste. He ultimately caved, giving one to the pleading animal, making him bark happily.

"I'm sorry to hear that," his mother said, dejectedly, "It's a shame, too. I guess we'll have to throw her out."

The woman began to clap her hands, but before she did it for the third time, the boy began to freak out and shook his head back and forth. His mother stopped, retaining a serious expression as she watched him, expecting something to happen.

"No, I - grrr," he growled, "She's...fine, but that's it! And even then, she's only barely fine!"

His mother burst out in laughter, making her son blush as he turned his head away with a scoff as he realized she had gotten him. She looked to the girl and began to apologize, trying to calm down from her laughing fit.

"Sorry to scare you dear," she smiled, "It was only to get Yamato to admit he liked you. He's not very verbal when it comes to his emotions. He does it more with his actions than anything. You can tell by the way he reacted, he really does like you. So please continue to be friends with him and come over every now and then to hang out with him. As for your payment, we'll send it to your address every Sunday afternoon."

"I hate to refuse the offer but I barely have enough time as it is between the student council and my classes. Not to mention my job - "

"Ah, why don't you quit your job and let us supply you with a job. We'll pay you more than enough to support your family and we'll even get you into the college you want to, no questions asked."

The girl, stopped, speechless. This offer was beyond generous and all she had to do was pretend to get along with someone or at the very least, make sure he didn't mind her. Yamato just grumbled, eating his yakitori as he mumbled something to himself. He seemed to make a habit of being grumpy.

"It still seems wrong," (Y/n) stated, rubbing her arm in nervousness, "I mean, that's more than enough, believe me, but to be paid to be friends with someone?"