Chapter 17 - Carry On

"Walking alone and the shores are longing, 

I miss your footprints next to mine.

Sure as the waves on the sands are washing, 

Your rhythm keeps my heart in time.

You found me, made me into something new. 

Led me through the deepest waters, I promise loud to carry on for you."

Niccolo's POV

Niccolo's POV

I stood leaning against my car, Sierra was already seated inside the passenger seat. I saw Benji exit the building with a bag causing me to push off the car and make my way to him.

"I think that's everything. If she needs anything, just give me a call." Benji spoke as he handed me the bag of Sierra's clothes.

"Thanks, buddy." I took her bag from him.

"Look, Nico, I don't know what's going on between you two but please look after her." He pleaded with me sincerely.

"You have my word." I nodded at him as his facial expression was one of gratitude. "Get my details from my father inside. Call me if you need anything or if you want to see her, anytime."

"Thank you." He spoke softly before heading back inside.

I placed her bag into the trunk of the car before heading off. She was completely silent, emotionless and motionless on the way there. When we arrived she didn't even glance around or head anywhere without me. As I opened the front door, Major began running towards us and he was headed straight for Sierra.

I tried blocking his way to her, unsure if she was willing to have that kind of boisterous energy around her right now.

"Major, down!" I raised my voice slightly and spoke firmly.

"It's alright, Niccolo. Let him." Sierra spoke her first words to me since telling me to not touch her back inside the apartment.

I obliged and stepped out of the way. She patted her leg invitingly and Major didn't hesitate as he sprinted the rest of the way to her. She was crouched down by the time he reached her where he licked her face and wagged his tail, letting out the occasional cry of excitement. That's when I saw it, her smile. Her smile made a small appearance, along with a distant giggle, which to me was everything.

Once he had settled, Major then noticed and smelt the dried blood on her clothes and hands. He began sniffing at it and I saw her face fall.

"Major, down! Where's the cat?" Major stopped at attention, his ears raised slightly as he listened and scanned the area. No, we don't have a cat but whenever someone says the word 'cat', Major is ready for a game. So, off he went into the backyard, barking away at thin air.