33. Her

Liam

I felt like I did the right thing.

The look on Rena's face when we came back to this town and then when she saw her old house - it's one I don't think I'll ever forget.

She looked so genuinely happy, I'm not sure if I've ever seen her look like that before.

Well, maybe when there are red velvet cupcakes around.

When she cried in my arms on my birthday, all I wanted was for her to not hurt anymore.

I've learnt from past experience that coping and acting okay, doesn't necessarily mean that you are. It was what I did and what Rena was doing. She needed to let it out. To say the words, even if they tasted bitter. It was needed.

The day she told me that she didn't feel like she had a home - I felt something within me break for her. The hurt in her voice, she actually believed it.

She felt like she didn't have a home, when that was so far from the truth.

That day I had already decided I would do something, anything, to remind her she had a home. She wasn't lost or just a wanderer.

I wanted to bring her back to happy memories.

Rena and Bea explored the entire house that day, with Rena telling Bea everything about how things used to be when she lived here.

I still remember the days where I would come over here, to play or for dinners, or for help.

I know that a lot of things have really changed since then, yet, I feel like not all has. Rena is definitely how she used to be, but in a good way. Actually...in the best way.

She's same in that she's just as kind, caring and sweet.

I saw in the living room, tying my shoes when I heard Bea call out to me.

"Daddy," she came in, holding something in her hand and a curious look on her face.

"Yeah, sweetheart?" I asked her, as she came near, standing in between my legs and pushing whatever she held in her hands, into my chest.

Bea looked at me with a pout. "What's this?" She asked, taking the words right out of my own mouth.

I looked at what Bea had given me and it looked like some kind of box or case for something.

"I'm not sure," I frowned, and then looked at Bea. "Where did you get this?"

She pointed in the direction she came in. "I found it by the stairs."

"It's probably belongs Rena then," I told her. "I'll give it to her, you go get dressed please."

Bea moved away from me, and then gestured to herself.

"I am dressed," she huffed.

I playfully narrowed my eyes back at her. "Not in pyjamas, you're not," I said and she threw her head back dramatically.

"Ugh," she groaned and then stomped out the living room.

I was left smiling at her antics.

"So much personality in such a tiny body," I muttered to myself.

I also think it was partly due to Rena.

Bea had been picking up a few habits from her, which made me laugh, since I don't think either of them could tell.

At one point I caught a glimpse of the two of them twirling their hair whilst thinking, at the same time. I had to bite my lip to keep myself from laughing.