- 37 -

"Are you sure he'll like it?" 

I turn around to look at Angel who was sprawled out on Cole and I's bed. Dark brown curls danced wildly around her head every move she made. Her head perks up at my question, giving me a once over before scoffing and sitting all the way up. 

"Girl, please," She dismisses my question, "You're gorgeous."

She walks towards the closet, looking for shoes. I glance at the mirror again. For the first time in my life, I think I look pretty. 

I look content. If you were to pass me in the grocery store you'd think:

Huh, that girl's not sad at all

Maybe you'd even smile at me or offer me a "Hi, wonderful weather we're having."

The dress was very flattering. The white color looking very neat against my skin. It also felt nice, silk is not something my skin is very familiar with. 

"Rose, what about these?" Angel asks behind me.

She holds up some soft berry pink stiletto heels. I have to admit, they were cute. It's actually quite surprising that I hadn't seen them before. I guess I've never really had a reason to look for heels until now. 

"Oh, I like these," I comment strapping up the heels.  

The material of the dress matched the heels. Silk straps stopped at my shin and tied in a small bow on the back of my calf. 

I mutter a string of colorful words as I try and stand up in the shoes. 

I obviously didn't take the height of the shoe into consideration as I was a little more than I usually deal with. Which isn't saying much because the number of formal events I attend has dropped significantly low since the death of my father. 

"Are the heel too much?" Angel asks starting to look for another pair.

"No, they're fine." Lie.

They suck

She shoots me a knowing look, turning me around to look at myself. Her smile is bright in the mirror. I can't help but feel envious of how flawlessly beautiful she can be without trying. Why doesn't Cole feel any affection towards her? I wonder if they've ever had a thing?

"You are stunning," She beams at me, "Everyone can see it except you." 

I smile shyly at her, never being one to embrace compliments. 

"Cole should be here any minut-" 

Angel is cut off by the sound of the door opening. 

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." 

I couldn't have said any better myself

We make our way to the living room to meet him. He looked tired, average working husband at the dinner table tired.

"Sorry I'm late," His voice puts an instant smile on my face.

It also makes me, even more, self-conscious about the dress. Maybe such tight material wasn't the best option for tonight. Especially after dinner.

"Perfect timing actually." Angel quips, moving from in front of me.

Cole's back was to mine, he was putting up his suit jacket. He seemed tense, must have been a hard day at work. 

"I stopped by to get Rose something," He turns around, medium-sized pink velvet box placed in his hands. 

Before he speaks again his eyes catch mine, slowly trailing down my body. His body eases slightly. He opens his mouth multiple times, shutting it directly after.