24. Parents From Hell

Mature Content

Once the woman announced to thank everyone for coming and wishing everyone a good time, the servers sent the food out to each table

Once the woman announced to thank everyone for coming and wishing everyone a good time, the servers sent the food out to each table. They had a variety of things you could choose from to eat. Choices started with steak and salmon being the main dishes. I didn't eat as much as I thought I would, probably because I'd already eaten about three pounds of fruit.

I wiped my mouth after finishing the salad in front of me. Chris quickly finished his steak and took mine without asking. I mean, I wasn't going to eat it anyway. I slowly sipped at my drink, wanting another one soon. I honestly just wanted to dance and go back home. The people here seem snobby and stuck-up. They just stare at you without saying anything, then whisper to whomever they're next to.

"Riley, we all agreed to take you out for your birthday. So, be ready." Sam leaned over the table to smile at me.

I batted my coated eyelashes. "Please don't do anything special! I don't care about my birthday. You know that."

Chris cut in. "When's your birthday?"

"July tenth," I replied.

With a half-smile, Chris said, "Guess I don't have long to plan something nice for you."

I laughed. "You don't have to do anything for me."

Sam loudly blurted. "Like hell, he doesn't. Let people celebrate you."

I rolled my eyes and let them secretly talk about plans.

Before I could speak, a deep voice from behind startled me. "Samantha."

I knew just by how he said her name; it was their Father. He looked like an older mix of Joey and Dylan together with an expensive suit and jewelry. The only difference was that he had dark black hair with a side part like he's stuck in the wrong period. I mean, he screamed 'money' and acted like it too. Everything about him was powerful and punctual. Shit, I didn't even want to look at him too long.

He quickly scanned over the table with his dark eyes before stopping on the boys. "Joey. Dylan."

I don't like this man already.

Seconds later, a woman I assumed to be their mom appeared. She linked arms with her husband before also saying her kids' names in the same tone.

"James," Dylan swallowed, "Margaret."

"Mom. Dad," Sam answered shortly after her brother.

Margaret had a short shoulder-length haircut with dark brown hair like her children. She resembled her daughter's height and shape, but Sam didn't have such an unapproachable face. My eyes scanned to the floral dress that stopped right below her knees.

"I see you got our invitations. Thanks for coming." James, their Father, said.

Joey laughed. "Did we have a choice?"