The Invasion

After Talia was long gone, it was then that the Justice League decided to show up. All could sense the tension coming from the caped crusader. Superman landed on the building first, the Bat paying him no attention as he continued to stare out at the city.

"Batman."

Batman acknowledged the Kryptonian with a grunt and slight bow of his head.

He turned to face them. All these heroes ready to fight beside him for a city that means nothing to them. He almost smiled, almost.

"I know you all have cities of your own to protect, I appreciate that you're all here," The Bat said, keeping his voice low.

Wonder Woman stepped forward, her golden belt shimmering in the yellow lights of the city. "And we appreciate that you realize you need help this time," She retorted.

Batman shot her his infamous bat-glare, but she remained where she stood, smirking lightly at him. He carelessly returned the smirk before focusing his attention on the matter at hand.

"It's your city, Batman. We will do whatever we can," Superman added, speaking for the rest of the team, but he knew they would be more than willing to do what needed to be done.

For the remainder of the night, the Justice League prepared themselves should this off-world attack happen anytime soon. The team was sure they had every inch of Gotham protected before they all departed for their respective cities, leaving Batman and Superman alone on the rooftop as the first light of day hit the skyscraper.

"You have my gratitude, Superman."

"I know you would be the first to aid me and my city if I were in this position."

Batman nodded, turning away. Superman placed his hand upon the Bat's shoulder, the caped crusader turned to look at the last son of Krypton, his friend.

"Bruce... I promise nothing bad will happen to Gotham."

"Look around, Clark. Bad things happen to Gotham every day, bad I can fix. Whatever this is, this alien tech, I fear I may not be enough, not this time."

Clark smiled reassuringly, "that's what we're here for."

***

Bruce returned early that morning, a tired, sullen expression on his face. He sat at the Batcomputer, his head in his gloved hands, cowl tossed aside.

Alfred was waiting for him as usual. He watched as his master, the boy he had raised, sank into the over-sized, leather seat facing the enormous screen, a defeated look on his face. Alfred wished he knew what was going on through Bruce's mind.

"Alfred."

"Yes, Sir," Alfred stepped forward, awaiting his master's instruction.

"Gather the boys. Bring them here."

Alfred left without a word, hurrying up to the house. He was worried; Alfred had never seen Bruce so distraught.

Bruce let his eyes close; He was exhausted but he couldn't rest, too many thoughts swirled around his mind causing it to ache. An alien attack was inevitable now, it was only a matter of time, and now, Talia was here. Talia, a woman he thought he would never see again. A woman whom he despised, her and her evil father.

Bruce despised the Al Ghul's, and now she was here. She had said she was looking for something lost, Talia had not stepped foot in this city once, so how could that be? Unless...

What she had lost was alive?

And had fled to Gotham?

But how could she be sure?