Chapter 87 - Superposition

"Do you see them?" A voice rings in my head, so abrupt and loud I gasp awake. As soon as I jolt upright into a seated position on my bed, I have just enough time to take in the darkness of my room before everything starts to rattle and shake like an earthquake.

The thing that follows next though isn't an earthquake, instead a golden light floods into my room from the windows as a horn from a train blares loudly from outside my shaking walls.

My hands slam onto either side of my head, covering my ears from the volume of the horn as I squeeze my eyes shut and grit my teeth.

The violent shaking of the room around me calms and the bright golden light fades, just as Scott comes barreling into my room– alarm written all over his face as he rushes inside and sets his hands on my forearms.

He pulls my hands away from my head, moving his concerned eyes around my face before looking around the room "What happened? What's wrong?"

I swallow hard, trying to slow my breathing as I take deep, calming breaths and shake my head quickly "I don't– did you hear that?"

Scott let's go of my arms and kneels on the floor next to the bed "Addy– I heard you screaming"

I furrow my brows, looking from his face and over towards the windows as I shake my head again and stammer through the previous occurrence "No, no, no– I wasn't screaming, I– there was a train– it sounded like a train was passing straight through my fucking room."

Scott softens his face, offering a little shrug "You must have been having a nightmare, because you definitely were screaming like you've done before when you were asleep, Adds."

I make a noise, jerking my head back slightly "No, I wasn't– it wasn't a– wait–" I trail off, my frown deepening as I flick my eyes over to Scotty "Why did you call me that?"

Scott returns with his own confused frown "What? That's what I've always called you..."

Eyebrows still bunched together, I blink a few times trying to figure out why that doesn't sit well with me.

However I come up with absolutely no plausible reason why that sounded odd just then– so instead I sigh and try to figure out why I heard a train a few moments ago "It couldn't have been a nightmare Scotty, I wasn't asleep– I mean I was asleep until I heard a voice and then I definitely woke up before I heard and felt the whole room shake from a train passing by–"

Scott goes to say something and I lift my hand to point towards him as I quickly continue "And I'm talking living as close to the tracks where they're in our backyard close to passing by."

Raising his hands up in surrender, Scott quirks a brow "Well we definitely don't live that close to the train tracks and we didn't have an earthquake, so– maybe you were still sleeping even though you thought you woke up."

"Like an inception nightmare..." I grumble and watch as Scott furrows his brows in complete confusion.

I scoff lightly, shaking my head as I mutter "Never mind, you didn't see that movie with me when it released a few summers ago."

"What movie would you have gone to see by yourself, you hate going to the theater alone" Scott quips, a smirk falling on his face as he stands up.

I go to answer him, again coming up short with knowing he's right but also knowing that something is wrong with what he said

Scrunching my nose up, I shrug "Or I watched it at home– point is you still haven't seen it"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah– add it to the list under you wanting me to watch Star Wars" he grumbles and starts to turn towards the door.