25. One Minute Till Midnight

I slowly pushed my way back through the crowd, hoping I wasn't with Joey that long

I slowly pushed my way back through the crowd, hoping I wasn't with Joey that long. I forced myself to hold back my smile, and these new things I was feeling. When I approached the table, Dylan and Chris were sitting silently, and the happy couple was about to make an appearance on the dance floor.

"Riley, let's dance," Chris asked.

"I think I'm going to sit this one out. Something turned my stomach," I lied. I didn't feel right about what I just did and dancing with Chris. I felt horrible stringing him along because that wasn't my intention at first.

Chris slid his hand on my waist as I jumped. "You feeling alright, Babe?" His pet name caught me off guard. This wasn't the first time he called me that. Great. He probably told his family he's thinking about marrying me now or something.

Dylan yelled over the table. "Riley, have you seen Joey anywhere?"

I lied. Again. "I think I saw him talking to some girl, but I'm not sure if it was him."

Dylan excused himself to look for his brother. I knew exactly where he was. He was definitely trying to get his anger in check before stepping back out of the bathroom.

"We can leave if you're not feeling well," Chris whispered over my shoulder. I honestly wanted to laugh. He probably thinks I took a shit or something.

I shook my head and asked, "You're not having fun, are you?"

He shrugged. "I'm almost ready to go. These aren't my kinds of events."

Throughout the rest of the night, Sam and Cam stayed on the dance floor, having the time of their lives. At least they made fun of the event, and Sam busted out of her feelings. I spotted Dylan talking to a female he seemed to know, and Joey never came back. This time, I let him have his space. I'll just appear in his room at midnight as he asked me to.

Once they were done dancing, we all agreed it was time to get the hell out of there. I certainly wished the event had turned out differently . . . but that's life. You never know what's going to happen, just like Joey and me. I kept pushing him away, and now I can't seem to resist him.

The four of us headed into the truck and made our way back to the beach house. The ride was silent for the most part, and I continued playing sick. I didn't want Chris to try and ask to stay over, which I felt terrible about.

Chris embraced me in a tight hug and hoped I would feel better. He pushed his lips against my forehead before walking to his parked car. I glanced at the time, seeing I only have less than an hour to meet with Joey.

"Is Joey home? I think I'm going to go talk to him." Sam set her shimmery purse on the counter before walking up the steps.

Cameron laughed. "How do you feel about Chris?"

I thought for a second. "I don't really want anything serious. I'm just going with the flow, Cammy."

"He doesn't really talk much, but he's an okay dude, you know?" Cameron spoke, gripping my shoulder blade. I nodded with a fake smile.